The Flower Duet (Delibes)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Leo Delibes (1836-1891): Lakmé (1883)
    "The Flower Duet"

This is the famous duet for two sopranos from Delibes' opera "Lakmé", in a highly simplified and abreviated instrumental arrangement by Mike Magatagan. Mike's arrangement was intended for two violas and violoncello. I have played it on two mandolins and tenor guitar instead.

Mike's arrangement is at Musescore:

https://musescore.com/mike_magatagan/scores/213471

I have posted the score for my adaptation here: Link

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    It may be described as "highly simplified and abbreviated" but it still sounds quite complex in this arrangement, Martin. Another fine delivery.
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your recording has those two sopranoes sing very sweetly, Martin!
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks John and Christian. The parts themselves are relatively straightforward. Keeping them together is the tricky bit, especially without click track.

For comparison, here is my favourite Youtube recording of the Duet: French singers Sabine Devieilhe and Marianne Crebassa recording live in the studio. As everybody is dressed casually it's a much more relaxed ambience than a typical concert or opera performance, and that transmits itself to the performance. Just a joy to watch and listen to the two of them! As you can see, I have only recorded the actual duet part starting at 1:05, not the alternating soli.

Link

Martin