Question for more seasoned members of the group...

1. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Hi all

I seem to be able to see only a fraction of previous people's submissions to tunes in the archive here. Sometimes the YouTube link helpfully says that the video is no longer available. Fair enough - videos come and go, I get it. However more often I simply get a "hole" in the thread where clearly a link to a video is meant to reside.

Anyone else encounter this problem? And, if so, how did you go about fixing it?

I'm using a fairly recent MacBook and running Safari as my browser, just in case it's maybe an operating system/software type of fault. Are there, for examples, tweaks I need to make to my settings to remedy the issue?

Thanks in advance for your help on this one...

Aidan
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Hi Aidan,

There are two reasons for this: one is that the original poster may have deleted either the video on Youtube or the post here on the Cafe linking to it. Unlike on the main forum, there is no time limit here for editing your old post, you can do it years later. The second, and more common, reason is that the Cafe has two different ways of embedding videos: either use the "Insert video" button or the "Youtube" button (on the Go Advanced screen). Youtube changed its scripts a few years ago, and all older videos that were posted using the "Insert video" button stopped working because they had the wrong script embedded. Those posted with the "Youtube" button continue to work fine.

I don't think there is a workaround until and unless the owner edits their original post. However, if the video is still on Youtube, you may be able to locate the owner's channel and see it there.

Martin
  3. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Ah... Oh well, that explains something which I thought was a problem to do with my computer. Shame, though, that people's efforts were voided.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated.

Aidan
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Just another in a long line of "changes" that makes it harder for small time YouTubers to keep going... it almost seems YouTube/Google Alphabet doesn't want to bother with us anymore.