Week #78 ~ Brian Boru's March

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen

A little late, but it has been a busy week at work, putting in my two weeks and getting ready for my new Job. We did two takes that turned out, one with my future father in-law playing rythm and one with him joining in for the first round of melody, then finishing with rythm. I think this one makes me sound the best of the two.
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very well done jhuesgen (and future father in-law). The combination of the two instruments made the song come alive.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Way to go J, groovy melody playing and nice interesting chording on the zouk. You've got yourself a nice little band there!
  4. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff Jhuesgen and nice that you have a ready made rhythm section! My effort is not so polished, a few mistakes but it was take 27.............
    Bertram, thanks for the Strongbow, I need it!

5. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Too many elements go into recording. Lighting, batteries, the camera just being bad, nerves, strings, the mic, other people being loud at the end of the best take... I know with me, My picking is a lot better when the camera is off, but once it (the camera) is turned on I start messing up things that are no problem normally. I realize now that you should turn auto focus off too that is why my last post looks so flashy.
  6. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Well nice job tosh! we are at the top of page two which makes us special and stand out. Sunday already??? need to work on June Apple now tune overload. I have about 40 Irish tunes to learn (So I can sit in with my future father in-laws Irish band some times, and a few Norman Blake tunes in my "the mandolin of Norman Blake" dvd that I received two months ago when I got my Mandolin. This sites way tooooooo addicting! Been neglecting my Martin guitar.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Tosh, you get my vote for the most unusual version so far. Intriguingly different melody and phrasing. 27th take? Your video title says it's the 311010th take, now that's what I call determination
  8. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Bertram, it's essentially the version from Henderson's Tutor For The Bagpipe, I've just trebled the endings:-

X:78
    T:Brian Boru
    T:6/8 March
    B:Henderson's Tutor For The Bagpipe
    M:6/8
    R:March
    K:Bmin
    f |: dcB BBf | dcB BBe | cBA AAe | cBA AAf |
    dcB BBf | dcB BBA | B>de fec |1 BB/B/B B2 f :|2 BB/B/B B2 A ||
    |: Bce f2 e | f2 e f2 a | ABc e2 c | e2 c e2 f |
    Bce f2 e | f2 e f2 a | B>de fec |1 BB/B/B B2 A :|2 BB/B/B B2 f ||
    |: dcB BfB | dcB BfB | cBA A<Aa/A/ | cBA A<Aa/A/ |
    dcB BfB | dcB BBA | B>de fec |1 BB/B/B B2 f :|2 BB/B/B B2 f ||

As for number of takes, I kept getting the third section wrong and the vid I posted was the best I could mangle it!!!!!
  9. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    This was actually my suggestion, but for some reason I failed to record it. So here we go:

10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Sure glad you've gotten around to this tune – it was well worth the wait!
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good picking Manfred, and looks like I didn't do this one either. It certainly is a fine tune.
  12. laura809
    laura809
    Nice job Manfred. That was a very clean performance (as usual) and the triplets sound great. This tune was from before I joined. I like it when the old tunes resurface so I can see what I missed.
  13. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Manfred thanks for making this one bubble up to the surface again. Great tune and it was very worth the wait....especially with that Brentrup that sounds finer and finer each time I hear it!
  14. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, guys.
    In the tune book I have this version from Brian Boru is designated an 'Air', so I did not play it at lightning speed
    I think it would even sound great if played more slowly.
    If you are interested in this version, please send me a PM with your email and I send you a pdf.
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    Trouble with a Capital T...

16. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Trouble with understanding the point
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    And Alan's version...

18. Eddie Sheehy
    Both of those from the 70's... Sorry Mannfred, I guess you had to be there...
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Manfred, that was a late but refreshening revival of this old tune/thread.

Eddie, you must admit that recognizing the tune in that Horslips song is for advanced deja vu diviners only, in fact I heard more of Road to Lisdoonvarna in it
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Like I said, you had to be there...
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Brian Boru's March is one of the tunes that I play with the band I'm in. We pair it with Rakes of Kildare. Since I'm practicing it for some upcoming St. Pat's day gigs, I thought I'd go ahead and turn on the video camera. That noise you hear is my foot tapping!

22. ollaimh
    hi, i'm nuadh. someone said jig means post in irish, and port is an irish generic term for a tune. my gaidhlig is from alba nuadh, nova scotia, there post (usually spelled peurt--and pronounced peurst) definately means tune. pretty much any tune. peurt a bheuill is mouth music and peurt a piba is war pipes music etc. i'll have to look and see if there is specific word for jig. my gaidhlig is pretty rusty as i haven't had anyone to speak to since grand ma died in the eighties and i have lived all across canada and the usa.
  23. ollaimh
    ps i love the tunes available on this group and i love the great versions!!! some day i'll learn to post a video. i'm a one finmger typist and quite non techno. however i have learned a dozen tunes from this group!
  24. Eddie Sheehy
    Port is a tune also a Jig, Port Luasca is a Slip Jig, Ril is a reel, Cornphiopa is a hornpipe... Failte Romhat, Ollaimh
  25. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice Barbara. I like the little triplet runs and your clear tone.
    Where did you get this version?
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred, thanks! I got both these tunes from a book put out a long time ago, by an Iowan, David Hicks, called "A Lark In the Clear Air ~ A Complete Guide to the Wooden Flute"
  27. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Cool tune! I really enjoyed your playing, Barb and Manfred. I'm all over the foot tapping. The Gaelic lessons are a lovely bonus as well.
  28. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    A version I recorded this afternoon, using my Paris Swing "Macaferri" mandolin.

29. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Sweet!
  30. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I didn't know there was a fourth part, Aidan. Well played! I'd forgotten all about this tune.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12