tatter jack walsh

1. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    hopefully i'm not double posting here and this hasn't been done before. unfortunately tendonitis has been kept me from contributing but fingers crossed its starting to ease of now, so was able to get through this handy jig. looking forward to having a go at the songs of the week particularly trying to get my head around the non Irish ones

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Welcome to the group! Tell us about yourself & your mandolin!

I love jigs... not familiar with this one.

I found these ABC's

X:1
    T:Tatter Jack Walsh
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:D Mixolydian
    e|fef ded|cAB c2A|dcA GFG|Add efg|fef ded|cAB c2A|dcA GFG|Add d2:|
    |:A|dfa afd|dfa a2f|gef g2a|gef gfg|afd ded|cAB c2A|dcA GFG|Add d2:|
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great to see you back sir - I was wondering where you'd got to! I've not been around much meself though so it's a bit "pot calling the kettle black" ish of me! Must have a go at learning this one when the next day off rolls round and I've a minute to meself!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, and a good sound from your mando. Welcome back to the gang!
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, here I was welcoming you, and Jill and John are welcoming you BACK.... so, I'll say, welcome back, and we hope to see and hear more from you! I've fallen in love with this tune!
  6. cjprince
    cjprince
    Very nice - this has been on my list of tunes to learn for quite a while. I'm going to make an early New Year's resolution to finally learn it.
  7. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    on the little rosewood pono octave

8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff there Lawrence, and that Pono sounds the business too! Particularly enjoyed the guest appearance from your wee sidekick there as well!
  9. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks Jill, i have to admit i had my doubts but i love the little pono, its starting to be the first one i pick up. thats my wee mucker, the imaginatively named Spot , white lakeland x parson cross.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Aye, thought I saw some Parson in there alright!
  11. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    You and that Pono sound great.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great sound and balance from that Pono, Lawrence. and of course fine picking too!
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That OM seems to boost your fun of playing considerably. I can hear an obsession coming...
  14. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    just having a bit of fun on the mandola side of ten string this morning, i originally got this tune from one of Gerry O' Connors banjo books in standard CGDA but this was the first time I've played it in that tuning.

15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice one Lawrence, I like this version too.
    Sounds like the fifth note in the second to last measure is sometimes an E?
  16. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Lovely playing Lawrence, I've fumbled along with this one in sessions but never given it proper attention, thanks for the reminder:
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely versions the pair of ye. That tune sits really nicely on the mandola Lawrence, and lovely tone from your mandolin Harry!
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Two times "Wow!", Lawrence and Harry. The tune sounds lovely.
  19. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I'm with Frithjof - wow X 2 ! I have Lawrence on YT, Harry , I will search you out and find you. Who is Simon Hall, then?
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great playing too, Harry (or Simon Hall from Australia?)
    Let’s hear some foreign tunes…
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two great versions, Lawrence and Harry.
  22. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    What the others said: two times WOW!
  23. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Ditto
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Been at least a month since I last posted a recent vid.

Thanks for the motivation ladies and gents!

https://youtu.be/vROjc3nRWLY
  25. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Simon!
  26. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Nice work, Simon. It's always fun to see where your camera ends up.
  27. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon, you get a "Wow!" too.
  28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That is such a fine bit of playing, Simon. You really give the tune a great lift in this version.
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.
    This is actually how I play at low blood sugar, a bit jerky with some of the melodic runs!

Holiday’s over. Got back from England, Sweet, England a couple of weeks ago. Fruit too expensive here in France this summer, I’ve been on a different, veggie/rice diet.
    A healthy life can sometimes be brutal.

-oh, though, but how I miss the high life!
  30. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Really fine picking on all of these! Thanks for bringing this tune back.
  31. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks folks, lovely playing Harry and Simon, i enjoyed those.
  32. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    And a third WOW, Simon!
  33. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    The amazing recordings of Lawrence, Harry and Simon awakened my interest to learn this jig too.

The last three submissions were posted when I happened to stay in the Stubai Alps in Austria for a hiking vacation. I found a nice place to play mandolin in the late afternoon. After a couple of days, I made a first attempt to record the tune. It was not so successful … But I used the first part to create this video and added a recording from yesterday.

Needs a lot more practice - of course!

34. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    What a cool jig and such a great tune name. Well done everyone. Frithjof, what a lovely mandolin you have and I've always meant to tell you so. Good playing and such lovely scenery there in Austria.
  35. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Michael, your comment is well appreciated. Special thanks for the warm words about my mandolin – I’ll tell her!
  36. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely playing there Frithjof, and I like the bells accompaniment from the goats!
  37. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fourth WOW!, Frithjof. Nice playing on my favourite mandolin and fine pictures from the Alps.
  38. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Simon. It was the weekend of cattle drive from mountain pastures into valley. The goats passed us on a narrow hiking path.

Thanks, Christian. I take it as a little “wow” – well appreciated.
  39. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Love this whole production, Frithjof - from the playing to the scenery to the goats - the whole atmosphere - nice production all 'round.
  40. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Frithjof, you and Frank keep finding those exotic wee locations for your filming, and you get such an authentic sound out there in the open air. A fine bit of playing.
  41. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    That was quite beautiful Frithjof! I love the sound, you can hear the air! Another brother nature/music lover in the world makes me happy.