Fascination Waltz

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This tune was written in 1904 by Fermo Dante Marchetti (1876-1940), originally with the title "Valse Tzigane" (Gipsy Waltz). It became the song "Fascination" with the addition of lyrics by Maurice de Feraudy in 1905. The best known version is by Nat King Cole (with English lyrics). These days, the instrumental version is usually called "Fascination Waltz", and played rather faster than the song (at least I do).

I'm performing the tune on mandolin and tenor guitar, using parts from our own group's arrangement by the late Tony Judge.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A great old standard, Martin, and one I had forgotten about, but now have firmly in my head. It really suits that Vinaccia of yours.
  3. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks for posting this Martin. This was one of the " DeLorenzo Family" standards that I played at every gig. And one of my favorites.
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Tasteful use of the tremolo, Martin, fits the tune to a T!
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John, Frank and Christian! i didn't really intend to take the tune at quite as brisk a tempo, but I rather liked it when I listened back.

Frank: Thanks for the recollection. I'm intrigued: have you told us about your family band before? I want to learn more, also after listening to your wonderful companion waltz, Hi Lili Hi Lo!

Martin
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine performance of this Waltz, Martin.

And, yes, we need the whole story and the DeLorenzo Family version by Frank. Please!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I’m going to write out the TAB tomorrow or Sunday morning, got the notation from Musescore.

Lovely version with impeccable tremolo as usual Martin, this goes on my huge list…

Will have a go at it in the morning, damaged my left hand today, will see how much swelling there is over night, long forest adventure story with vid to follow…
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Well it took some doin, but I managed to get the band together for this one, per Frithjofs' request. This is one of a handful of songs I learned from my one and only teacher for about 6 or 7 weeks, 1/2 hour sessions. I was between 6 & 7 years old. Mr. Spadia was an old Italian gentleman who spoke very broken English. He taught from the Mel Bay books. But what I learned was several Italian songs, and this, when the book got closed ,by ear, and I listened VERY carefully. And now i'm gettin emotional, so more later...
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Always an emotional event to bring a band back together, Frank, and now there is this lovely record of it! The piano is particularly fine in this mix.
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frank -- that is a very gentle and sensitive rendition of the tune. Great playing! Very different to my rather brisk reading...

For reference, here are the mandolin and guitar parts from our group arrangement I was using. There is at least a mandola part (and possibly also a second mandolin part) to go with it, but I don't have the repertoire folders for those parts. Note the very specific strumming pattern in the guitar part, for the hesitation effect.

Fascination -- Mandolin 1
    Fascination -- Guitar

Martin
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks a lot, Frank! Amazing! This sounds very Italian to my ears. Now we know how you developed your fine tremolo.
    I love the pictures as well. Great use of the focus depth to emphasise some details.

Martin - thanks for the sheet music.
  12. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The band sounds very pofessional, so do you Frank!
  13. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks everyone! Thanks for noticing the piano John. The ony thing harder than resurrecting my Dad, was getting that Steinway from the back seat of my Chevy!
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Should have been easy to move as long as you kept the lid shut on the Steinway, Frank. And had someone to hold the Chevy doors open!
  15. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Now he tells me.
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I was never in love with this melody - I thought it was too cliche - but boy did you open my eyes (and ears) to a beautifully melody with smooth piano and flawless tremolo. Thanks Frank, I really loved this.