Red Prairie Dawn by Gary Harrison

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Sasquach. Don't apologize for having a hard driving Monroe-like right hand.
    Many of us are jealous. We try and try but are 'Abominable' at it.
    I keep practicing but I'm not there 'Yeti'.
    Sorry.:reface:
    Gary
  2. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Thanks Mr Wilson. I love puns! Believe it or not, my oldest son wants me to build him a F5 with greyish overtones and call it the 'Yeti' I am brain storming the idea concerning tone-woods, inlays & finish. We'll see.
    Monroe style is about all I know. I am trying to incorporate different styles with my own twist of Monroe. I have even tinkered with some Bach pieces.
    Thanks again.
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You'll have to see if you can find any of that Himalayan Spruce for the top.
  4. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Here's my go at Red Prairie Dawn. I heard the tune here and was disappointed when I couldn't find any score for it but then I decided that maybe this was a good opportunity to learn a tune by ear. I picked a video off youtube but just couldn't figure it all out even after trying to slow it down in audacity - gets too muddy at slow speed. So, I just made parts of it up and went for it. I probably should have listened to more videos since the B part doesn't sound much like most other versions... But, here you go:

5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done Bob. It's probably too late now but I wrote down my version of this based on the original notation which has since disappeared. If you have Finale you can get a copy here:
    https://app.box.com/s/kc4avpfthymcbefv53yz2e5apbxgy209
  6. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hi David, Thanks for offering the score. I don't have Finale although I did look it up and it looks intriguing... I read on their website that you can input your score using a microphone. Do you do that and does it work well? I suspect that midi, which I don't have either, would be a better input source. I really should have tried learning the tune from your video, I think I would have got it sooner and more accurately.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Good to see this great tune revived -- sound great from both of you!

The link to the mandolin tab in the first posting from 2013 doesn't work anymore, but the PDF is still at that site just a bit hidden:

http://www.oldtimemandolin.com/OldTi...rairieDawn.pdf

Martin
  8. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Thanks Martin!! Good detective work to find it. I guess I got pretty close to the tune. At least my chord progression matched up although I am pretty sure I am missing a half a bar at the start of part B. Now if I learn the correct version I will have two versions to play although one might be a half bar longer... Thanks.
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bob, I have Finale Print Music which is the cheap version without all the bells and whistles. I input everything by hand. It's a good program for me for writing down melodies and chords before I forget them. I keep forgetting that I can save Finale files as PDFs so here's my version again as a PDF. https://app.box.com/s/a4ugknwli8jowuepa64dzmk81bkcl828
  10. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    David, Thanks for the score!! I use easyABC to write scores but it isn't an overly simple process. I have used Tabledit too and that is even harder. Thanks, Bob
  11. bbcee
    bbcee
    I was rehearsing this great tune for a camp that I wound up not going to last week, so thought to post it here. It's based on instructor Paul Van Vlodrop's arrangement, but it then wound up going in interesting and unexpected directions. Hope you enjoy.

12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing Bbcee, and thanks for reviving this lovely tune.
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I've forgotten which musician made a joke about calling this "Red Prairie Dawg" at a concert, but that's what I think about when I hear this now. Very clean playing! It sounds nice at this speed.
  14. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This really really nice Bbcee.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely version and video, Bruce.
  16. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks for the nice comments. My gosh, does mine sound slow listening back to the previous versions! Gotta drink more coffee.
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I tried all the links to the music for this and they seem to be expired..anyone know where I can find it? (Not ABC - I don't know how to use that) I went back and listened to everyone playing this tune - they are all so good.
  18. Steve Larson
    Steve Larson
    Really great, upbeat tune, and great rendition. Thanks for reviving this!

Ginny, I'll see if I can't cook up a tab/TablEdit file for us all, if no one beats me to it.
  19. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks Steve. I did see the one above that has 'printable PDF' on it but the tuning confused me.
    When you were talking about 'public domain' it reminded me that just a week ago I had
    Si Bheag Si Mhor get a copyright notice...and O'Carolan has been dead for over 200 years. A 'session.org.' discussion said that perhaps CD Baby had bought the rights, but I think it's a glitch - besides a 'claim' does not affect your YT status anyway.
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s another for the TAB lovers out there.
    I used David’s chords and included some of the variations from Bbcee. Instructor: Paul Van Vlodrop.
    Basically there are 7 lines, lines 4 and 5 are the B part and 6 and 7 are a variation of the B part.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilwkye00zx...0GOOD.pdf?dl=0
    Happy to hear any feedback, thought you guys might want to know that I picked up a whole load of cheap apples today -yay, apple flapjacks, tons of ‘em!

X:1
    T:Red Prairie Dawn
    L: 1/8
    M:4/4
    K:A
    |"A"e2c2B2AB|"F#m"cABA "D"F2EF|"A"ABAF EFAB|"F#m"cefc "E"ecBA|
    "A"e2c2 B2AB|"F#m"cABA "D"F2EF|"A"ABAF "D"EFAB|
    |1"E"1ceBc "A"A4:|2"E"2ceBc "A"A2AB|
    |"F#m"c2cA "D"F2FG|"A"A2FA "D"C2CB,|"A"A,2A2 "E"EFAB|"F#m"cefc "E"ecBA|
    "F#m"c2cA "D"F2FG|"A"A2FA "D"C2CB,|"A"A,2A2 "D"EFAB|"E"cABc "A"A2BA|
    |"F#m"c2c2 "D"cAFG|"A"AFAB "D"c2c2|"A"ABAF "E"EFAB|"F#m"c2fc "E"ecBA|
    "F#m"c2cB "D"A2FG|"A"A2FA "D"C2CB,|"A"A,2A2 "D"EFAB| "E"ceBc "A"A4|
  21. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Clear picking on all three instruments, Bruce. I guess you made your homework to prepare yourself for the workshop. Good idea to post the video here.
  22. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you Bruce...working on it...the part B is a bit tricky.
  23. bbcee
    bbcee
    I found that as well, Ginny, some interesting fingerings. It's a good pinky workout.
  24. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    bbcee - I think the writer wrote the A part, went on vacation, had a few pints and came back and finished off the B part. I have followed you on the slow version but don't see a fast version coming anytime soon. I appreciate the trouble you went to sending it to me thank you. JOHN KELLY - get ready for an mp3 of this song soon.
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I await it with bated breath, Ginny. Isn't music just such a boost at this trying time for all of us. Good to see the group so active recently.
  26. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Thanks to Bruce (bbcee) for the music. As shut-ins from around the world - John and I practiced safe social distancing (Canada to Scotland) to put Red Prairie Dawn together. It actually may be Red Prairie Sunset..the photos didn't discriminate...I had a bit of a tricky time with the B part so it may not be as fast as it should be, but no notes were left on the floor.
    Bertram..I got a pack of TP today - 46 rolls..and I still don't know why.
    Thanks to John for accompaniment and harmony. xox
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely job of putting the music and pictures together, Ginny. Considering we only took a day to sort out the tune and add the backing and harmony, it is quite a pleasing effort, and a fine example of the power of the internet to overcome the present isolation we must all be feeling.
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice project, Ginny and John. And in only one day!
  29. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Bravo!
  30. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks Dennis and Frithjof - it took John one day and it took me one day to make the video..but it took about a week to learn to learn the song. Drats on that B part - it kept throwing me a loop. Bit slower than I'd like but at least it's a clean recording and I found a few others on YT that were that tempo too, so I don't feel too bad.
    Hope everyone is well. Things are starting to go a little crazy here.
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely version Ginny and John! I’d say that’s about the tempo for me too.
  32. bbcee
    bbcee
    Well, I'd say that was worth the wait! Lovely, lovely version you two. That mandolin sounds really sweet as well, Ginny, matching the intent of the tune.
  33. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Simon and Bruce.
  34. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you Simon and Bruce. Bruce's tune was my inspiration plus he sent me the music - so dbl thanks.
  35. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bruce, you sent Ginny the music? You are very sweet!
    You too, Gelsenbury and Bertram.

(Edit): In fact I love you all!
  36. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Simon, you will always be sweet. I can send you Bruce's pdf if you like. ( ask me in the personal message area part. ) The social distancing thing is getting to you, isn't it. Will you be Ok? Maybe commune with nature and that creek again - might help.
  37. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Where’s your vid, Ginny?

https://youtu.be/1bqn2YgjTn4
  38. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Ha, seems I’m not the only one who missid your post, Simon. But it’s worth to listen to!
  39. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sorry Dude, it was me Frithjof, I think I posted five vids in one day, it was the exotic one that got the comments!
    I should have done a vid of a sunrise in fast motion or something to go with it. A car chase video would have been exciting.
    (This is actually one of my favourites).
  40. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Hey Simon, I almost missed this one! Excellent playing!
  41. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Michael, I appreciate your kind comment.
  42. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I too missed this one, Simon. Great sound and I like that hammer-on you use and the dynamics with the volume changes.
  43. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Nice one Simon! I was lookin for some nails to drive!
  44. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Another one who missed your video, Simon. I'm always surprised how relaxed you play these lively tunes.
  45. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gents.
    It was Bruce who pioneered that special hammer-on John.
    Thanks Bruce!!!

I’m never relaxed CC, I’m just very lazy -I’m always looking for ways to economise on movement. One of the things I try to do though I don’t like it because there’s a bit of effort involved, that’s to try to put all fingers as close as possible to their future target points well before they’re needed. The fingers basically amble over to position and then slouch around for a while taking in the scenery.
    Another is to practice at a much higher tempo, get the tune over with quicker.
    Another is to be a metronome maniac! You get a good idea of exactly how much time you have to hang out on the fretboard.
    I do about half as much work as most people!
  46. bbcee
    bbcee
    Arg, I missed this also.

Thanks for the credit on the special hammer-on, Simon, but you can be sure I borrowed it from somebody! Not that I'll give it back or anything ...

You've made a version that's all yours from all the sources you drew on. Well done, and thanks for keeping this one going, it's a great tune.
  47. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I vote that this is somehow Simon's fault. I didn't see it either. It is really nicely played - however I find too many embellishments like repeated hammer-ons a bit much and should be used sparingly as something special. But that's just me. I also like the tone you have achieved on your octave.
  48. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Bruce and Ginny.
    Sadly there are only 8 hammer-ons in this version.
    I actually like them so much that I think I’ll use a lot more on this tune, maybe re-record it with the extra hammer-ons and played a lot louder for emphasis. I don’t think two hammer-ons per measure would be excessive.
    Yes I think I will do that. It will be very nice.
  49. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Embellishments to me are like hot sauce, just pour it on until you can hardy stand it! Seriously though, I think Ginny might have a point...
  50. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Pizza tonight Michael -with hot sauce.
    Thanks also Ginny, I understand what you’re saying. To me the hammer-ons are part of the tune, they remind me of the BIRDSONG I used to hear at sunrise out in the desert of California.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12