The Bright Hollow Fog

1. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Today's experiment in multi-tracking. Could not get the camera angles to work in Final Cut. It's always something!

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    lovely and peaceful, Mike. I don't see what's supposed to be wrong with the camera angles.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I agree with Bertram, Mike. Watching your guitar chords it might be that the guitar parts on video are VERY slightly behind the music, but the camera angles seem fine otherwise. The mandolin film and sound are absolutely accurate - something I regularly have trouble with! A good video showing fine playing of a very gentle melody. Did you have a separate sound recording that you replaced the camera sound with?
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds very nice, even if the guitar might be slightly behind the music, fine tone from your mandolin!
  5. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    “The Bright Hollow Fog” Version 2.0. Fixed some video and audio issues from Friday.

6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Beautifully done.
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I really liked my Mike's version of this tune so I gave it a shot a month ago!!! but YouTube wouldn't let me post it for some reason so I'm trying again today.

8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Lots of Foggy songs these days. A symptom of being stuck at home, perhaps. Very nicely played by David and Mike. Why do these sound like The Foggy Dew?
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Mike, a fine update there, and David, a lovely offering. I too think there are some note sequences in the tune that echo Foggy Dew, Ginny, as you say here.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I too hear vestiges of Foggy Dew in there, especially that "..sound its dread tattoo" seems to echo here and there. Fog has that feature of blinding our sight to what lies ahead and separating us from each other - yes, sounds familiar, too. Waiting for some wind to clear it.
  11. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Good version, David! Love the lead line. I really wish I knew how to play the concertina or whatever variety of box that is. What a great sound.
  12. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two great versions of this foggy tune!
  13. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    A recording from a few months ago but suitable for autumn.
    Eastman mandolin 504, piano, Hora bouzouki and Kurzweil synth organ.
  14. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely Micheal, i know that tune from the song Building up and tearing England down
  15. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    What a beautiful performance Pierpaolo!
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine arrangement and playing, Pierpaolo.
  17. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The piano adds something special, great recording Pierpaolo!
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Another tune I seem to have missed, fine playing Gents, Pierpaolo S fine recording too, what equipment and settings did you use?
  19. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Thank you.
    Simon: I use rode n1a microphone and Sonar to record. There are some effects (compressor and reverb) on mandolins and melodica.
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Three amazing recordings. Every submission in its own beauty.
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very foggy, snow-bound day today. So...

https://youtu.be/FSoqvyugNms?feature=shared
  22. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Lovely, Simon. The accompaniment really works and helps the mood. Are you in a tent? (Or should I say loitering within tent?)
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another fine performance, Simon. You are certainly adding in the reverb and other effects a lot more now and it certainly adds to the atmosphere here. Great choice of pictures too.
  24. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Lovely! Just so nice!
  25. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    You're creating quiite a foggy atmosphere, Simon. Very nice!
  26. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I liked the various renditions of this tune so much, that I also tried it, Searching for a composer, I found the following rebmarks by Marla Fibish:The air is shared with the song Building Up and Tearing Old England Down, which recounts the hardships suffered by the Irish workers in England. It is unclear whether the song reclaimed an old air, or whether the air was derived from the song. John uses Micho’s name for the air -- The Bright Hollow Fog -- a reference to the bright light from the Doolin lighthouse seen through the fog from the farm, portending foul weather, which offered relief from working the farm and the chance to stay in and play music.
  27. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks fellow SAWyers.
    Not a tent but happy the intention is clear Richard. This is my recording studio it’s where I occasionally do a whole load of post-production on a vid - in the way Ginny does her block buster movies (when she’s close to the internet).

Yay Christian!
    Very nice playing, ethereal triplets and welcome. Make yourself at home!
    You're melody does seem more Irish, and I've been spending the last half an hour trying to figure out how that is!
    Nice story about the origin of the tune too. I was wondering how do you record your tunes, do you use any extra filters?

I wondered if the title referred to the bright halo, a lighting effect often seen in the Highlands of Scotland. It's one of at least 10 different lighting effects that occur there, often in mist or fog. The rainbow, the Northern Lights, Circular rainbow around the Sun, shadow towards infinity, Green sunset and concentric circles around the Sun are just a few examples.
    And all this, without even a drop of whisky!
  28. John W.
    John W.
    Two great versions of a great tune, Simon and Christian.
  29. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    That is beautiful, Christian.
  30. John W.
    John W.

Like Christian, I was also inspired by the various contributions in this thread…compelled to do a recording.

My version is based on that played by concertina player John Williams - https://youtu.be/1BKkqJVybJY?si=Rdnpeg1LAJ2dIslP - and the dots provided by SteveF on thesession.org

Ivor Pickard OM and Vega cylinderback mando’
  31. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds beautiful, John, I like the moment, the mandolin starts playing.
  32. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you, Christian.
  33. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Two more great videos of this pretty tune! Very enjoyable.
  34. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Lovely work, John. As I said on YT, I am not a great fan of tremolo on this sort of music, but in the background part it works nicely.
  35. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I enjoyed this new wave of Bright Hollow Fog a lot. Simon, Christian and John gave their recordings personal touch.
  36. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Terrific performance John, very grand.
  37. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    John, it's wonderful!
  38. John W.
    John W.
    Many thanks Christian, Dennis, Richard, Frithjof, Simon and Jairo for the very kind, encouraging comments.