Mallard Island Hymn

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This Peter Ostroushko tune is the latest collaboration between Ginny and me. Peter passed away in February of this year. Ginny has posted other of his tunes here over the past few months; she sent me the notation for this one and also her recording of her solo mandolin version. I added a harmony part for mando and also added tracks with octave, guitar and in the third time round church organ chords from my Yamaha piano.

I mailed the mix to Ginny who tweaked it in places and it winged its way back and forth through the ether till we were happy with the sound we had. Ginny then added the amazing pictures and produced the final video that I am posting here.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did while we were making it.

2. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    You guys really put one together here! I'm blown away by how professional this came out. Standing.Clapping. Oh PS I think you, Ginny, should post these collaborations on your YT also. Maybe just add something different to the title, or not.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you John and Frank. We both liked how this turned out in the end - there was some back and forth before the final version won out. Frank, I rode on John's YT channel for about a year or so before starting my own channel. Since then most of the tunes have come my way even though John works hard with me to achieve a final product. I felt it only fair that John have this one - and maybe sometime in the future I'll run it. Right now it seems to be holding it's own on John's page. Thank you for the very fine compliments.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Another lovely vid, beautiful photos and fine playing. I love the tone of the two mandolins together.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Ostroushko

The title’s not an allusion to M’Lord’s island?

And notation from the other thread:
    https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%...s%2Fjbn20te1a9
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Ginny and John - you produced a real hymn out of a few (simple but nice) dots. A masterpiece!
    Thanks for the link, Simon.
    I also like the pictures. I recognize so many places which I visited and have great memories of.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all. Simon, thanks for posting the link to David Hansen's original notation which is the one that Ginny sent me. David has bumped the original posting from back in March 2010 which had three versions posted, including his own. Your query about the M'Lord's Island is an intriguing one and perhaps Ginny might be able to cast some light on this?
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Simon - you have a better eye than I do - I went to that page but cannot see anything about M'Lord's Hymn. I must be blind. He has a couple of songs he labeled as 'Hymns'. I think he just didn't like the word song..like who would listen to Mallard island Song. ?
    Also the link to the notation looks like the one i used - it has a unique font for the title. But I think David steered me in that direction. I'm really not sure any more...( lol)
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sorry Ginny I just corrected that.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Ginny and John for all the work, that went into this fine video, and thanks Simon for the link to the sheet music!
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    And thanks for showing me such a nice second position study...

The high c may sound a bit shrill sometimes, but I blame it on the new strings.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine delivery, Christian. It is a deceptively simple but somehow memorable tune.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, lovely playing Christian. It is a nice tune, reminds me in parts of The Lakes of Pontchartrain.
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice recording, Christian.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Dennis?
  15. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Sounded great Christian. After about 40 secs in I didn't even notice the newness of your strings. I've needed strings on my MT2 for over a month, but they have no fret bumps, and still intonate. And I'm lazy, and....
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Sounds nice CC. As John said, the melody is not difficult but the execution of it leaves one with a sense of wonderment.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What gentle music, falling on my ears like raindrops on dry land. Quite short - you might have done another round!
  18. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks folks!
  19. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Mallard Island Hymn - Peter Ostroushko

John and I collaborated on this tune and I have changed some parts so you're not looking at or listening to the exact thing again. John's octave solo in the middle is so beautiful I added some ethereal sunsets from the Smoky Mountains to highlight the beauty of his solo.
    Thank you for watching, I appreciate it. (there are some 'production' issues at my end so the 'Heart Trilogy' will continue later - I hope)
    Thank you !!!!!!
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I like the way you have brought the organ track in at the start on this version, Ginny, and the new pictures you have added. We had a lot of fun on this collaboration and it was you who introduced me to Peter Ostroushko's music, for which sincere thanks.
  21. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you, John for convincing me to post this. I did change up the music and the pictures and I hope you like what I did with your octave solo...they go well together I think.
  22. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely done!
  23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    The motion picture version, well done Ginny and John, beautiful professional production.
  24. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    What a beautiful tune and well played by both of you. Thanks!
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Belated thanks, Michael, Simon and Don.
  26. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you too !! In today's newspaper there was an article about the thousands of trees they lost in the California forest including some of the giant sequoia. The wrapped the bases of the trees with fire retardant fabric and it has seemed to work on many of the really old, giant and famous ones. Sad to see them burn - apparently a lightening strike.
  27. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a beautiful tune, and three very nice recordings. Each of them shows off the inspired melody as well as the arrangement skills of the performers.