Week #44 ~ King of the Faeries (hornpipe)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, thanks! Worked like a charm!
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    All great versions, whilst i'm still trying to learn the b part.

DJ, love the sound of your 'studio' has a lot of energy!!

mc
  3. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    I like this tune, but it really isn't a hornpipe, it is a set dance and it has been an "official" set dance tune in the past.

It is meant to be played for dancers who, in turn, will want you to sound just like the recording they used to dance to while practicing. Since the primary feature of most dance practice CDs is dead on tempo a lot of interpretation gets thrown out the window The first few video renditions of this tune are strange, to say the least, if you have had to play it at a lot of contests.

I like what everyone has done with this tune so far. I rarely hear it in a session mostly because it is hard to find a tune to go with it, I suspect.

And I love that Bridger!
  4. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    Reels, Hornpipes, Set Dances, Polkas, Jigs, Slip Jigs, Slides.

The mind reels <haha> So what distinguishes a Set Dance from a Reel or a Hornpipe?
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    DJ, this link might help. someone generously answered a similar question I had.

http://sites.google.com/site/irishmusicrhythms/

this is a great resource.

mc
  6. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    OK, here is my first ever video of of myself playing. I played this as a hornpipe, I guess, at least that's what the bodhran track is supposed to be (another first). The quality seems pretty poor, is that because I chose the mobile option? My Old Wave really does sound better than this, even if I don't.

7. Eddie Sheehy
    Rí na Síog - played on an Eastman 815MDA Mandola

8. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great first video, BlueMt.
    Under the message window, you click on "Go Advanced".
    Then you will see more icons on top of the window.
    Click on the red button "Tube" and and you will get a window where you can insert the information copied from the Youtube page. In your present video, this should be: "5t0SmLb60_E"

Mandolinistically,
    Manfred
  9. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Thanks! Manfred.

Eric
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Just found a version that offers some potential to the dancers amongst us:

Just occurred to me that that is something we haven't seen Eddie do yet, have we?
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Wow, what a production!
  12. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Bertram, I agree, I'd love to see Eddie "Lord of the Dance" Sheehy favor us with a jig or 2.

mc
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey, he's got a whole crew, haven't you seen his family santa photos! I bet he could get THEM to do it!
  14. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Yeah! Who needs Riverdance when we have Eddies Cru?????

haha

mc
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    Actually......
  16. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Am I supposed to be looking at her feet?

Another vote for Eddie's Cru!
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Dana, believe it or not, Irish stepdancing is supposed to be strictly about feet only
    There is a historic reason why they hold their arms down, but Michael Flatley definitely can't remember what it was...
  18. Eddie Sheehy
    My dog can dance a version of a jig... I call it Roverdance...
  19. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    Has Mattel released Riverdance Barbie yet?
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    No, but they released Divorce Barbie - she comes with half Ken's stuff...
  21. Solas
    Solas
    Just discovered the group and and thought it would be good motivation to build my abysmally small repertoire.

Hope you don't mind me bumping some old discussions in the coming weeks.

22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Welcome Solas - yeah, that was exactly the same motivation that brought me here, too. And it does help a lot.

No problem about bumping old discussions, most of them deserve to be brought back to memory and some actually start a second life that way.

Your dexterity is remarkable, so technique is certainly not a problem of yours
    However, did I hear the odd left-out measure here and there?
  23. Solas
    Solas
    There is one left out measure at the end that I know about. Also, I just noticed I didn't arrange the tune correctly. May have to record it again later.
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Welcome to the group! Tell us a little about yourself and your mando! Please look through our past Tune of the Weeks, PLUS our huge list of 'Other Tunes' and feel free to submit any! Or, any tune that you like to play, that hasn't been played yet!
  25. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just introduced myself over in the "new people" thread (well, not new to the Cafe but new to this group), and as I play King of the Fairies every now and then, I did a quick clip of it with my resonator tenor guitar. Barbara said earlier that the tune works well on tenor banjo, and the reso is rather similar in character:

Martin
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Martin, very nice. Your reso tenor guitar has a very nice sound to it...
  27. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Been wantin' to record this for a while. Not sure if I'm playing it right. Just sort of picked it out by ear.

28. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've long liked this tune, and have been meaning to record an accompanied version for some time. I was prompted to finally do so when Cafe member harper (Evelyn) kindly sent me the arrangement she had made for her contra dance band. A good tune for a thumping mandocello bassline. I tend to channel the Horslips version when I play this tune, so this is faster than it is sometimes heard.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    1925 Zimmermann waldzither
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  29. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bump
  30. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    My take on this set dance. For those of us who grew up in Ireland in the 1960s and 1970s, Horslips' version of this song will be forever etched into our memories and it's quite hard sometimes when playing this to avoid lapsing into some of their idiosyncratic syncopations... Played on my G&O #34 mandolin.

31. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great tune, well played!
  32. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Originally Scottish, stolen by the English, perfected by the Irish - a tune for St Patrick's Day. King of the Fairies has become such a standard that we might overlook what a wonderful tune it is. Influenced by Kevin Burke's ultra-slow version, I have tried something similar, much slower than I used to play it, but I now realize nowhere as slow as he does.

33. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lol i would say that's the recipe for a powerful amount of Irish tunes , i read somewhere that the slide was the only genre in Irish trad that was actual Irish in origin . great tune , fine playing .
  34. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A cracking tune and so well played, Richard. Your tempo suits the tune beautifully, letting it breathe for the listener.
  35. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, both. Indeed, Lawrence, plus many of the tunes have been through the filter of a return transatlantic crossing. The search for purity is seldom successful and always disastrous, in my view. I think it's fun how mixed up all these traditions are.

John, I agree that it is often better to dial it down a bit and let the tune breathe. In this case, it lets me breathe too - not sure I would manage those triplets at the tempo I used to play.
  36. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Wow, that's really nice. I like the rhythm and the clarity of each note.
  37. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Like the sound track to a movie. Richard, nice!
    Clear, fine playing giving it a misty, nostalgic and timeless atmosphere.

That reminds me, I haven’t see one of Ginny’s blockbuster, panoramic vids recently!
  38. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Dennis - rhythm and clarity is what I associate with your playing.

And thanks, Simon. Well, as it happens it is part of the soundtrack to a "movie" (my migration video - watch the Celtic forum for more details). What does this have to do with migration? Nothing, but I wanted to play it and so I used it as an illustration of the naming of Irish and Scottish traditional tunes. I'm glad the recording quality is good. Unfortunately, as there are 33 tunes in the video, the sound quality rather depends on how early, or preferably late, in the process I recorded it.
  39. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Sounding good Richard!
  40. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Frank!
  41. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounding mighty fine Richard, you always do the right mix.
  42. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Christian. I admit I was pleased with this one.
  43. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    I'd forgotten that I'd recorded an acoustic version of this set dance a couple of years ago. Oh well... here goes with the 2023 version...

44. Malk
    Malk
    It was Horslips who introduced me to this tune which I now love to play but never imagined in my youth I’d be playing as a pensioner
  45. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    The surviving members of Horslips are no adolescents, themselves, these days... :-)
  46. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Always a great listen, this one, Aidan. Fine version you give us here.
  47. Frithjof
    Frithjof
  48. John W.
    John W.
    Enjoyed the two different versions of this classic from both Richard and Aiden.
  49. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    @John (W). I'm kind of in two minds about this tune. It was spoilt for me because at one session I used to play at, we had a punter (from my hometown, as it happens) who used to get pretty well langered and demand loudly that we play King Of The Fairies. We used to resist because once a session starts to play requests, where does it end? "The Fields Of Athenry"? "Ole, Ole, Ole"? In the end we figured that just playing the tune would shut him up and get him out of our hair. But in the process, the tune became something of a chore rather than a straightforward pleasure...
  50. John W.
    John W.

Another classic (popular) hornpipe that I’ve been wanting to record for sometime.

Vega cylinderback 203
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast