Storm

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is an original reel with a very short title, written by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni from Volume 3 of "Evelyn's Big Book of Mandolin Trios". From the repertoire of her band "Jalapeno Honey" who played it as a reel for contra dancing. My playing is a bit slower than dancing speed.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice one, Martin! It's a short title but the tune sounds tricky. It has an Eastern European feel about it, at least to my ears.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Dennis. Unusually for her, Evelyn's notes don't give any indication for the inspiration or background of the tune, beyond saying that they played it for dances as a set with "After The Battle Of Aughrim" and "The Wind That Shakes The Barley" -- both of them grand old Irish reels.

I agree however with your impression that there is an Eastern European feel to this tune. The tune is in A minor, but there are copious accidentals, mainly G sharps but also a couple of D sharps, which make the tonality more mysterious.

Martin
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like the feel of this song Martin. I hear the Eastern European- ness, but it still retains it's lovely mystery.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice tune, and fine brisk tempo Martin, thanks for posting this.
    I haven’t got my octave with me at the moment but to my old ears it sounds like it’s in phrygian mode moving up to the fifth or something.
    I might try this one this afternoon, could you please post a copy of the notation?
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Ginny and Simon.

Evelyn sent me the tune as a single PDF a few years ago, which I've now uploaded:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...3&d=1636531819

It's also in Volume 3 of her "Big Book" on Amazon. The older version I have uploaded has a few differences in the descant and bass harmony lines from the published version, but the melody and chord progression are the same. I haven't played the descant harmony part in my recording, to keep it simple.

Martin
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Martin, I've just had a look at it. I really like the finger movements in this one, it's very dramatic and seems like a tune written for a play, maybe post it later on.
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very interesting tune, well played, Martin!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thought I’d join you Martin, I really like the finger movement in this one.

https://youtu.be/33luPlYMF8M
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Two nice recordings here by Martin and Simon!
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A really interesting composition by Evelyn with a somewhat exotic, Klezmer feel to it. What a talented lady she was.
    Martin and Simon, you have posted two fine and quite different versions here, each reflecting the player's style and individual approach.
  12. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Nice performances Martin and Simon! Those finger movements are actually finger dances.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gents, too kind. I felt that this was a bit of a rush and I used a click track which resulted in a ‘flat’ performance.

-throughout the whole piece I was wanting to get into some serious rubato! But I also wanted to learn smooth flow for some of the unfamiliar (to me) finger movements, especially fret 6.

It was nice though to play the tune on Evelyn’s day as it were.
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Your fingers are singing the tune very nicely there, Simon! I'm still fascinated by players who don't make any mistakes!
  15. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your solo version sounds really convincing, Simon!
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I am having feelings of thanks and gratitude towards you Christian, among other positive feelings, similar to the feelings I have when I listen to, and appreciate your lovely vids. These feelings I am now expressing in written text of encouragement to you and all my fellow SAW members.
    Have a nice day comrade musicians!