Week #80 ~ The Merry Blacksmith

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice clean picking, well done Aidan.

Thanks Lawrence, yes Id like to hear your version.
    I think this was the first or second tune that I actually managed to record!
    At that time I had a whole load of tunes, at least seven or eight, but I could only play half of each one. It's strange as well because I would often play this one for months and months, Over and over, and stumble over the same technically difficult part each time, and also I’d play the octave mandolin as though it was a guitar.

One thing that helped was putting the capo at the second or fifth fret in order to practice the stretching exercises.
  2. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    been enjoying playing this hora bouzouki a lot recently, great fun messing about with a capo on it

3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff Lawrence, nice to hear the tune in that lower register!
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Flying Lawrence! Brilliant.
    I was actually looking forward to this one.

Always love your dependable, plodding but light and upbeat rhythm. You make these tunes a special occasion.

About the capo, at the beginning I moved mine around a lot for the same tune, frets 0, 2, 5 and 7 for obvious reasons.
    When I started exploring up the neck it made it so much easier because I was already used to thinking about fret spacing in a controlled but relaxed, no-mistake manner.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Sounds great on that bouzouki, Lawrence, and the triplets come across clearly and cleanly.
  6. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I've been practicing some old favorites getting ready for St. Patrick's Day. Here is a 2 track recording I made with my tenor banjo and mandolin.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I would say you are well prepared, David.
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I'd say the same as Frithiof, David.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Definitely ready with this tune, nice solid rolling Irish-sounding rhythm and an energetic tempo.
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice to hear you again! This tune is perfect for St. Patrick's. I've also been playing it recently.
  11. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    These are really good. You get nice balance between the instruments - it's so easy for the banjo to drown out the mandolin - and I liked the ornamentation. Loved the pictures too - absolutely fascinating.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123