Expectant owner(s)

1. Patrick Sylvest
    Patrick Sylvest
    Hi all,

I've got an econodistressed Silverangel on order and under construction currently. It's to have a spruce top.

I patiently await the artist's work on this fine instrument.

I've got a nice Weber limited edition with a cedar top and I've owned a Collings MT that I enjoyed. Now I can afford a good second and I'm pleased to have chosen Ken Ratcliff as the builder.

Peace,

Patrick
  2. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    Don't be surprised if you find that the Ratcliff becomes your primary instrument, and not your secondary - they're THAT good.

Congratulations! And Tom Petty was right - "The waiting is the hardest part".

When is it due?
  3. Mark Walker
    Mark Walker
    Patrick - I agree with John; you'll find it hard to put it on the back burner as a 'secondary' instrument. They have a 'bark' and a tone all their own, and are great, great mandolins at their price point! Keep us posted! I'm sure you'll love it; I've had two Ken made for me and they're exceptional!
  4. D C Blood
    D C Blood
    Mark, I'd have one point of disagreement with you I'd say they're great mandolins at ANY price point, not just their price point.
  5. Patrick Sylvest
    Patrick Sylvest
    I'm fully prepared for my new SA to take over........lookin' forward to it, as a matter of fact.
  6. tburcham
    tburcham
    As a Weber and SA owner, I'd say you'll have two #1...they are both great, but will have diferent voices. congrats. Did you order an F or an A?
  7. Patrick Sylvest
    Patrick Sylvest
    An A model, distressed, varnished.
  8. Patrick Sylvest
    Patrick Sylvest
    Received some pictures from Ken today. Still mostly blocks of wood, but the spruce top is carved and the sides are bent. I'd post, but they're nothing you haven't seen. I'm really looking forward to this mandolin. I just know I'm in for something special!
  9. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    And it'll get more exciting as the time gets closer.
  10. Patrick Sylvest
    Patrick Sylvest
    I've transitioned from 'expectant owner' to owner. However, I patiently await delivery. My Econodistressed is the latest to be added to the photos on the cafe', as I'm sure most of you know. I've opted for the express mail option so that I will slightly reduce my wait until delivery time. My case should be arriving at Ken's door today or Monday, to be filled with joy and then returned to me. Hey, Maybe she'll be called, 'Joy'!
  11. wildpikr
    wildpikr
    The anticipation keeps you on pins and needles, doesn't it? But when you finally open the case and play it for the first time is an exquisite moment. Aiiiiiieeeeee!
  12. Patrick Sylvest
    Patrick Sylvest
    Here she is! It's quite heavenly!!! 'tis going to be a long and happy relationship! It's great to be among the clan!
  13. jasona
    jasona
    Congratulations!
    Just wait until it hits 5 years old or so...
  14. D C Blood
    D C Blood
    Congrats, Cayenne. Please send me some photos of it and you for the Myspace site...
  15. wildpikr
    wildpikr
    Cayenne, how about an update? How do you like it?
  16. wildpikr
    wildpikr
    Cayenne, how about an update? How do you like it?
  17. Patrick Sylvest
    Patrick Sylvest
    Sorry about my absence and lack of commentary.

In a word; MARVELOUS!

I'm going to get some video of me playing it to share with the group and cafe'.

The tone of this mandolin is more pleasing to me than my Weber, which is an awesome mandolin. The Weber is a tad brighter.

I would hate to describe it's tone with overused adjectives. Suffice it to say that the primary reason I've not posted anything is because I've been playing it incessantly! A lovely balanced and woody timbre best describes what I've been enjoying.

Yesterday I broke a string.....a knuckleheaded maneuver wherein one turns the wrong peg! So, I changed all the strings and raised the bridge a smidge. It was late in the day and I really didn't feel like changing strings, but what are you gonna do? You can't hang your new Ratcliff on the wall with 7 strings! So, I went about taking good care of her and she's all strung up and singing sweetly again!

I promise, I'll get on the video!
  18. jasona
    jasona
    Congrats! I look forward to hearing it!
  19. bobbyD
    bobbyD
    If you haven't seen yet, here are a couple more that Ken is shipping out this next week. That lovely F is mine mine mine!! Can't wait to get her (hopefullly Tuesday) and see what this Silverangel hype is all about! Not to mention finding out what her name is... http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=54734