Follow Her Over The Border (A Jaunting Car for Six)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    A nice little slip jig…

https://youtu.be/Zr-zfckiqqY
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Really nice, Simon.
  3. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely Simon, great tempo.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Lady and Gent, I love this tune.
    Here’s the TAB in case anyone wants to have a go.
    It’s actually posted on thesession.org in D major but I transposed it to G (very similar) to get two verses that are an octave apart. Have fun!

X:2
    T:Follow Her Over The Border
    R:slip jig
    M:9/8
    L:1/8
    K:Gmaj
    |:ded B2 G B2 g|ded B2 d efg|ded B2 G B2 d|ABA A2 B cde:|
    |:d2 g gfe d2 B|d2 g gfe d3|d2 g gfe d2 G|ABA A2 B c3:|
    T:Octave Below
    |:DED B,2 G, B,2 G|DED B,2 D EFG|DED B,2 G, B,2 D|A,B,A, A,2 B, CDE:|
    |:D2 G GFE D2 B,|D2 G GFE D3|D2 G GFE D2 G,|A,B,A, A,2 B, C3:|
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another fine, flowing performance, Simon.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Lovely! I'd follow her over the border if she had music like this!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John, at your suggestion I shut down the metronome (temporarily) and I’m beginning to experiment with more rubato, so my playing will hopefully become less flowing, and in contrast more rippled.
    Dennis, no conditions, I think I’d follow her over the border just because!
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I reckoned you had done that, Simon. The tune flows more freely when you are not consciously waiting for that mesmeric click on every beat. More of the player comes through with the rubato and I think it gives you more control over what you are playing. You have a natural flow and fluidity in your playing and your right hand seems much more relaxed in your videos nowadays compared to some of the early postings.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Relaxed fluidity as always, Simon.
  10. John W.
    John W.
    Nice tune…and a lovely ‘woody’ sounding instrument…
  11. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Beautifully played, Simon. What are you using for the drone? That's a nice texture.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Christian, John W, and Don.
    Don, I’m glad you asked me. There was only one instrument at the beginning but by the time I got to the third time around there were five instrument tracks…

The G major drone track is a pre-recorded piece from the Internet. I did Think about doing one myself, maybe with a fiddle and some sort of software loop device to give a hurdy-gurdy effect but actually I would rather spend the time practising mandolin!

I do like the grand quality that the drum and the drone give to the vid, but most of the time I would prefer just to play one instrument, maybe with the octave above, maybe not.

For the vid itself, I was going to do some more filming but again Time was a limiting factor.
  13. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Very creative Simon! NiCCe!
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frank at some stage I’d like to be an orchestra.
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    There is a happy yet tidy lift to it, like nuns dancing round the steeple with their broomsticks, ready for take-off.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bertram, I think you are the most creative person on SAW, maybe even on MC, where on earth do you get all these ideas?!
  17. bbcee
    bbcee
    Well done, Simon. The drone is very hurdy-gurdy-ish and an excellent addition. Better not to go down that slippery looper slope!
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Bruce, yes the electrics and software can be a Real distraction.
    I am at a bit of a crossroads at the moment because I can pick up a tune by about the fourth time through, Which is great, but sometimes I feel that there is not enough there to record.
    So I have some options.
    One is to do what you guys do, You and Don. That is, learn lots of different variations for the same tune with blues scales etc.
    Another option, Which I quite like, is to take all of the tunes I've already learnt and record sets of three. Thereby doing a lot of revision and consolidation. I think this would help me to play by ear as well.

Another is to start playing tunes using notation only, while listening to other people playing and record the tunes with mandolin plus some sort of bass accompaniment.
    Singing songs and doing collaborations is another one.
    Some things to think about anyway.
  19. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine playing as usual, Simon.

Playing the melody solo and then add some other instruments sounds great for my taste. A lot of other options of course …
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof, yes I agree. I like the process of taking a tune and learning it off by heart and then recording it as a motivator and form of organisation.
    I was wondering, why aren’t we hearing more medieval German tunes? Italian? Spanish?
    I wonder if there are any tunes in ‘odd’ rhythms that are reasonably standard (A part, B part)?

And another thing about this tune is that at the moment there are some heated debates about country boundaries in Syria, Ireland, Poland, Belarus, Europe, Mexico, Taiwan Monaco etc. but (funnily enough) when I saw the title I was actually thinking more about interpersonal borders, gender debates, covid isolation, individual identity, the theoretical boundary between matter/energy and dark matter/dark energy in the universe, and all that!
    -but more importantly I just liked the tune!