From Artist's Point (John Goodin)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a slow tune for two mandolins written by John Goodin. I have played the second mandolin part on octave mandolin and have added an arpeggio accompaniment on tenor guitar. The tune is from John's ebook "May Frost". John's site is now offline after his untimely death earlier this year, but the ebook is still downloadable from the Wayback Machine (link) -- highly recommended!

"Artist's Point" is a small peninsula in the town of Grand Marais, Minnesota, on Lake Superior. John wrote the tune on a visit there.

1921 Gibson Ajr
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/28CgCiwv-6k

There is another version of this tune by Joel Hobbs & Jonathan Rudie, interpreted quite differently here: Link. My own previous recording (on two mandolins) is here: Link

Martin
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Pretty tune Martin. Good synchronization with the octave and guitar. I can't imagine this tune without the tremolo, it ties all the phrases together.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Ginny. It's a really lovely melody, and it works well played with a group -- it's in our repertoire. For an interpretation with less tremolo (although not entirely without), check the Joel Hobbs/Jonathan Rudie video I have linked.

Martin