Week #554 ~ Mazurka Schloss Freiberg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful tone played out of both instruments, Dennis. It’s a pleasure to listen to your recording.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good use of your Covid-restricted time, Dennis. Lovely performance here.
  3. John W.
    John W.
    Great performance, Dennis…you dealt with that mild covid admirably (and I see you also have a Fylde mando…hope you like it as much as I do mine!).
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you, everyone. I had fun recording some music again after a long time, and gradually became more pleased with the result as it took shape.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    And good to hear from you Dennis.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I was fascinated by this mazurka after the first watching of Kullens Fyr & Friends. The contribution of our SAW members just exaggerated this feeling.

My contribution is played on mandolin and English concertina. I built a backing track with the help of CordPulse app (combined two different waltz styles).

https://youtu.be/gvQN3AC6T1c

My bests wishes to all friends and their families. Have a nice holiday and stay healthy!
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great job on the tune and the video, Frithjof. The backing track works well with your live playing of both instruments.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice Frithjof, sounds good with the concertina and the stately feeling. I like that the instruments all blend together really well.
    Happy holidays!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great rendition with nice improvisation, Simon. Relaxed feeling.

Only you picked up the wrong Freiberg. The map shows an area around the town in south Saxony. The local castle is “Schloss Freudenstein”.
    The mazurka (like I understand it) is named after Schloss Freiberg in Austria close to the town Graz.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Excellent! I made so many mistakes with this tune, and had so many issues that suddenly arrived, I was thinking there must be at least one other mistake, ha ha!
    The C part it's an emulation of Gelsenbury’s offering.
    So, Austria, nice!
  12. John W.
    John W.
    Frithjof - great mix of mandolin, concertina and backing track-and nice video plus pic.
  13. John W.
    John W.
    Simon - The more tunes I hear, the more I like of the OM played with capo on 5th fret and the tuning created, and sound produce - a warm, woody, soft tone. The C part does provide an addition to the tune.
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very stately and majestic rendition, Frithjof - what the Schlosskapelle would play for Kaiser Franz' visit, Sissi dancing along with it (I may be pushing history a bit, but it's worth it)
    Bringing it all back to ground control, Simon: a pleasant peasant's casual casualty of history
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks very much John K., Simon, John W. and Bertram.

You are right, Bertram. My wife often complains about my melodramatic style of playing. That’s my nature, probably.
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    We are all performers of some sort, Frithjof, or we would not be posting here in the first place. Even in the videos we post where we do not appear ourselves but rather have pictures to augment the music we are putting ourselves out there for others to watch and comment on. It is "The smell of the greasepaint, the roar of the crowd".
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very enjoyable versions Frithjof and Simon.

Let's bring on the melodrama - there aren't many other opportunities for musicians to perform this Christmas
  18. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Your wife is wrong, Frithjof. You're not allowed to say that, but I am.

Seriously, your playing has never struck me as melodramatic. I have a strong dislike of what I've heard called "over-singing" and seems to be popular among certain soul singers and talent show candidates ... so I spend a lot of time thinking about the boundary between drama and melodrama in music! It's a matter of taste, obviously. But I don't think it's a criticism you need to take seriously, if indeed it was ever meant seriously.

Simon's version is nice, too. It's interesting to hear the evolution of the third part from Kullens Fyr via my recording to yours. And your ornaments sound as fluent as I wanted mine to sound, too.
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Surprise, it's me, your mostly absent 'leader' (haha!). I've watched everyone's video so far, and love them all. This tune has inspired me to break out my mandolin, and work on developing some callouses. Who knows, maybe even figure out if I can remember how to do a recording! Anyway, two thoughts have come to me!

1. I really would love it if when you post your video, you would mention what your instrument(s) is/are! Even if you do it every time! Ya'll certainly have some beautiful sounding and looking ones!

2. the "W" in Song a Week (which has morphed through the years)..... i've finally come up with a new unofficial name for our group, that will still result in SAW....

The Song A Whenever Social Group!

I hope everyone is having a safe and wonderful holiday season, wherever you are!
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Merry Christmas. If you change the name, someone else might steal it.
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Oh, I think we will keep the official name as it is, it will just be an inside joke for our members! ��
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Dennis, I really enjoyed your variation for the tune, and I am reminded how much I enjoy you're playing with lots of different instruments..
  23. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Official names are always misleading. Where I work we have a so-called Monday Meeting which takes place on one Friday per month.
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    What’s the tune you’re working on Barbara?
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm working on this one. I have hardly played my mandolin at all the last few years. I have been concentrating on playing the guitar. The band I played with (and practiced at least one a week with) disbanded a few years ago. And then the last year, I've been away from the folks that i got together with and played my guitar with, so I've hardly played anything at all! But, I got my Colings out, and started working on this tune! Then, I thought I'd check to see when the last time I had new strings on, and it had been 4 years! Oh, the shame! My friend, and previous band-mate, who has been my string changer all these years, is up in Iowa, and I am in Texas, but we face-timed yesterday, and she was able to help me put fresh strings on it! It only took almost 2 hours, and it looks like a kindergartener did it, but it does sound better!

One thing I've noticed, as I'm having to take baby steps back into playing, since my finger tips are devoid of any callouses, is that I'm having to slow down, and that is giving me time to really concentrate on proper technique. Trying to REMEMBER proper technique! But, it's easier to do, when you are having to slow down, and not just play with muscle memory! I'm having to revisit the proper angle to hold my pick, the proper angle to have it pick my strings. I've noticed that i had gotten into a tendency (maybe from playing the guitar), that I was tilting my pick a bit, and not always striking both strings. There's a reason we have double strings, so I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to play both of them! It's probably always a good idea, to also work on technique, not just learning to play a new tune!

Who knows, maybe I'll get to the point that i upload a video!
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, it took me a while to record this, and it's still got mistakes in it! Oh well, I'm nothing if not REAL!

I'm playing this on my Collings MT20 mandolin, three times through.

27. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Just like riding a bike, you still have it. Great job played with your fearless precision.
  28. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nicely done.
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice light feeling to your Mazurka rhythm Barbara.
  30. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    No mistakes at all. And the rhythm is great. Those staccato notes on the beat at the end of the phrase really work well.
  31. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very competent piece of playing, Barbara. Clean picking and good left-hand fingering.
  32. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    It is so nice to see Barbara back at it. Playing great and looking great too !! I sure would like to see and hear more tunes from you. Yes ??
  33. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Clean playing with a good tone. Thanks for your submission, Barbara.
  34. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    So Nice to see you Barbara! Very nice playing for someone who's been so busy! THat MT2O sounds great as well.
  35. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    WOW! Four superb new versions since I last had a look.
  36. John W.
    John W.
    Great performance, Dennis.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12