LaPlant's Hornpipe

1. Munnix
    Munnix

La Plant's Hornpipe was composed by Mike Gregory. I'm playing it on a G&O mandolin (#20) built by Mike.
  2. John W.
    John W.
    Good, solid playing…that’s the 2nd mando made by Mr Gregory I’ve heard being played…
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A great hornpipe and well played. You get a good clean sound out of your mandolin.
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good and strong, like a hornpipe should be.
  5. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Cool!
  6. Munnix
    Munnix
    John W. I believe that I've seen at least a couple of G&O mandolins either played or mentioned in The Cafe. Given that Mike only built 17 (I think) mandolins, that quite a few spotted in one location and I believe speaks volumes as to the quality of the instrument.
    Mike and I met at a mandolin class in Elkins, West Virginia in the 90s,I believe. We had a lot of music interests in common and became fast friends. I was surprised and honored a bunch of years later when he gifted me one of the mandolin he created. It has a really nice sweet spot, right over the sound hole. It's keeps me in good company at sessions and ceilis and it has a volume that makes it's presence know among the other instruments.
    Thanks to all for the kind words. Prepandemic I played for a weekly ceili and was always on the lookout for danceable hornpipes (hornpipes that can played fast and maintain their integrity). For me, LaPlant's has more than measured up to that challenge.
  7. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thats a great tune , well played
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Nice to see you posting Munnix! Well played, and that Mando sounds sweet!
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very well played. Great player's mandolin... loud, balanced sounding, and has a sweetness to it as well. Reminds me of my old Gibson A that I traded away and still miss to this day!
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice to hear you posting Munnix, great tone and style and rolling rhythm. Lovely tune too.
  11. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    That's a long tune to play so flawlessly, Munnix. Well done!
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great playing, Munnix! I like this hornpipe as well as the strong sound of your mandolin.
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely playing, lovely mandolin, lovely hornpipe! How cool that Mike G gifted one of his mandolins to you - Mike is a man of many talents!
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's how hornpipes are supposed to be played, and they deserve it, too (you're banging at this one like it deserves it, that is). This might go well with some clog-dancing.
  15. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    That's the way hornpipe should sound like, well done Munnix!
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Sounds brilliant, Munnix. Great stamina with rhythm and strong confident picking !
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Munnix has a YT channel open to the public now - I have subscribed and you may want to also. Munnix might like to change his name here so we know his name is Bruce.