Banish Misfortune - Melody and Harmony

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

I'm sorry, I must be the worst IT person here. I tried to put this in the Banish Misfortune area and it got lost..so if someone wishes to help me out I would appreciate it, I'm off to the dentist to experience my own misfortune...
    So...this was done totally unaccompanied..just me and my little Tascam ....synchronizing was the hard part and i can't do it as fast as some that i saw posted...but I do have some pretty pictures...??
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Best yet Ginny, wonderful!
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very fine effort, both musically and graphically, Ginny. I love the harmonies you have in this, and I like the pace you play it at. Thanks too for the notation.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good indeed, Ginny, a lovely duet. I hope you'll feel better after your visit to the dentist.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice fluid playing of all voices, Ginny. The synchronization works well.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    You probably still have more teeth than the rest of us put together!
    So? How did it go?
  7. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Wow Ginny, this mandolin harmony sounds so great! Beautiful
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Perfectly synchronized, nice pictures!
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Just back from the dentist - so thank you for the kind comments. The dentist was sort of like I suppose the cavemen had - it was all hand scraping (yuck) but very quiet as well..no jet blasters or jack hammers or Mr. Slurpy making noise.
    Thank you again I appreciate your comments. I thought you might like it with the harmony that's why I included the notation.
  10. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nice arrangement and presentation Ginny
  11. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Love this tune.
  12. John W.
    John W.

Played on Phil Davidson mandolin.

There were 2 threads on SAW (as far as I could establish) for this tune…so I’ve opted to add to the most recent one.

I’ve wanted to play this tune for some time, and after watching all the versions on each of the threads, and others elsewhere, I was unsure which instrument to play/record on, whether to multi track,etc.

I decided to keep it minimal and traditional (though I may post a TB version also on the TB group).
  13. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Wow! Two incredible versions of a great tune. You've inspired me to try it on the mandolin. I've played this tune before, but that was years ago and on a guitar in an open tuning. Thanks!
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A great revival of the tune originally posted back in July 2020 by Ginny. Such clean picking and a great sound from your mandolin, John W.
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks for posting this thread Ginny, love the harmony, images too.
    Lovely clear playing John, I’m enamored of the energetic, flighty triplets.

Michael I’m surprised you haven’t already posted this tune, it’s quite popular you know. Actually I’m surprised I haven’t posted it before this.

Hey ho, diddle dee dee!
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...e=2&do=discuss
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...243&do=discuss

Nice ones Dennis, Barbara, Bertram, Mike (where have you been), Jess, David, Frithjof, Eddie…
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That is excellent John. Nice sound and tone from your mandolin. I had played and recorded my version and getting the rhythm for the harmony was the hardest part. It is the only one I have ever done without accompaniment. Nice work !!
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a fast picking with good tone, John.
  18. John W.
    John W.
    Thank’s very much for the appreciative and encouraging comments Michael, John, Simon, Ginny and Frithjof…I look forward to the possibility of postings of the tune from Michael…and possibly Simon…
  19. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Gorgeous harmony, Ginnie. And really fine playing with those triplets, John.
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version John, nice use of ornaments too!
  21. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    What a beautiful pair of songs here. I missed Ginnys original post, which is just lovely with the harmony and backing. I loved John W.'s for the really well played solo version and the really nice harmonics and after tones coming from your mando.
  22. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Simon wrote:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...e=2&do=discuss

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...243&do=discuss

"Nice ones Dennis, Barbara, Bertram, Mike (where have you been), Jess, David, Frithjof, Eddie..."

Thanks Simon, and I'm glad you posted the links to the two earlier threads - many fine versions there.

I believe I've already commented on the other videos at one point or another in various other places where they may have appeared, except for the recent version by John W - nice!
  23. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks for the positive comments Don, Jill, Frank and Jess.
  24. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Superb jig picking, John!
  25. John W.
    John W.
    Very much appreciated Christian.
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    The Sun was quite hot but there was snow just behind those logs.
    I had just arrived at the top of the mountain -I think my playing of this one sounds puffed…

https://youtu.be/wDu3Rsq3GP8

Oh my goodness, and now I can’t make any money on my vid.
    -just received a YouTube warning; there’s a copyright claim on Banish Misfortune!
  27. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Excellent! Three very nice versions of one of my favourite jigs!
  28. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Niiice!
  29. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great jig picking in one of your favorite outdoor places!
  30. John W.
    John W.
    Niiiice pickin, Simon…one wouldn’t know there was snow close by given the sleeveless t shirt.