Week #50 ~ Brenda Stubbert's (Cape Breton)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice playing, sgarrity and CelticDude. You made my version sound like slow motion

Bertram, thanks for your kind words.
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here's mine, still a little rough but showing the main features of doublestops and tripletlessnesslessnesslessness...

3. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Very nice Bertram. You make that octave sing!
  4. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Wow Bertram, I really like that rendition!
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Very nice gang. I'm just starting on it. I'm using Martin's melojian version to get the basic tune down and then I'll add my flubs and brain-burps to finish it and make it unrecognizable... The dance-speed I'll achieve will be aimed at the "older set" - please make sure your walker frames have tennis balls on the front feet to avoid gouging the dance-floor...
  6. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great, Bertram. You made my desk (and the speakers) vibrate.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Shaun, Martin, Eddie and Manfred.
    Manfred, that wasn't me rocking your desk, that was Eyjafjallajökull.... Funny I didn't notice, being north from you
    Eddie, looking forward to your senior version...
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Bertram, I like it!
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    After a week away from home (on a volcano-induced odysee through Western Europe), I have today revisited this tune, this time on my 4-string electric mando. This is a Kentucky KM300E, with a Bill Lawrence mini humbucker replacing the stock lipstick pickup. Recorded with a microphone in front of the amp speaker. The recording setup appears to have some problems capturing the tone -- I use a very clean sound here, but somehow there is some distortion on the recording that didn't come out of the speaker. Probably some interference between the recording circuits and the amp/pickup signal chain.

Martin
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks OS, I am especially glad you do!

Martin, that distortion noise sounds to me like either a nonlinear reaction to excess volume on the input chain (mic ... soundboard) or a compression artefact of the recorder or youtube. Funny that it starts only a few seconds into the tune - that seems to point to the recorder (if it runs on your computer: was there some background process running and stealing CPU from the recorder?) Apart from that, very clean indeed!
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Bertram. I suspect that it was the recorder -- I record on my laptop and it was spinning the hard disc a lot during some of the my recording. Probably a virus scan, as none of the apps running at the time should have needed much hard disc access. Next time I'll also keep the mike further away from the laptop: they were both sitting on the same table and I think the background hum is caused by the table vibrating slightly.

Martin
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    The background hum is probably the laptop's fan... We "automatically" suppress it but machines record everything... Keep the laptop and the mic apart...the farther the better...
  13. Eddie Sheehy
    OK, time to fish... played on a Kimble AR...

14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Rich flurbling triplets, Eddie - walking frames in the trembling hands of senior citizens?
    Lovely relaxed version!
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, that was great! And I don't care WHAT that mean ole lady said on the regular forum, you are NOT a doofus!
  16. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Doofus? isn't that Gaelic for "man of great knowledge"??
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    If Doofus IS Gaelic for 'man of great knowledge', then I take it back.... you ARE a doofus!
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Too late
    It sounded etymologically familiar to me, and - yes!
  19. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice, Eddie.
    And, not just relaxed playing, but also a relaxed position, even if it's not what Mike Marshall recommends.
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Holding the mando at an angle saves me the price of a toneguard...
  21. walt33
    walt33
    <Slow learner raises his hand from the back of the room>

Question about the last measure of the first part of the TEF file referenced in Barbara's original post: If this tune is in 4/4 (maybe it's not), it looks like either an eighth rest is missing after the three 1/8 notes at the end, or maybe that should be two eighths and a quarter?

And measure 15 in the B part seems to do the something similar. But what's that first note doing? Looks especially odd in the notation.

Walt
  22. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Walt, the last measure of the A part is missing one beat which is the pickup note to both the A & B part. It is a common short cut form of notation to utilize these "pick up" notes and short measures instead of writing out 1st and 2nd endings for every tune. If you're looking for notation here's how Jerry Holland wrote it:

http://www.jerryholland.com/tunes/BrendaStubberts.gif
  23. walt33
    walt33
    Ah, so. But of course! Thanks for pointing out the (now) obvious, David!
  24. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Here's another take on this great tune, frae 'tother side o' the Pond!

25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I learned this tune 30 weeks ago but never recorded it. Here it is now with my latest progress on tripplets.

26. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Marcelyn, that was fantastic. Nice triplets, too, i think you really nailed it. liked the Silhouette effect.
  27. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks, Mike. Hey, have you tried triplets on the ukelin?
  28. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Sweet chirping rendition there Marcelyn. Looks like dawn, with the world still asleep.

triplets on the ukelin careful, he might actually do it!
  29. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Bertram, and I guess it's a little too late to unring that bell, but no ukelin versions of Brenda Stubberts so far.
  30. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I always wanted to redo this one with an orchestral setting, and now I have my chance:
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ahoy there! Very enjoyable, thanks David.
  32. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great fun combined with great playing, David.
  33. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    What a great tune!
  34. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great playing and animation, David! Another one I should re-visit -- I enjoyed this tune when I learned all the way back in 2010, but I haven't really looked at it since then.

Martin
  35. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks folks, it is a tune with many rhythmic possibilities (many of which I managed to miss).
  36. John W.
    John W.
    Excellent, all round performance, David.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123