Drummond Castle

1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's Burns Night tomorrow! I always try to prepare a Scottish tune for the occasion. I'm posting this a day early (a) to help you remember to stock up on haggis, neeps, whisky and Scottish poetry and music, and (b) because it would be nice if other people could also post some Scottish music to join in the celebrations.

Drummond Castle is a Scottish jig. A brilliantly expressive and energetic version on fiddle and melodeon can be found here:

https://youtu.be/8x729Yy9p8E

And a wonderful mandolin recording by Frédéric Bourgeois is here:

https://youtu.be/2gQnu4AhzN8

John Kelly mentioned to me that this lovely tune would also work well as a slow air, so I'm trying both here. Playing slower and more "rubato" first and then speeding up to a more danceable jig seemed to be the only sensible idea for an arrangement, but created the challenge of having to do without any metronome or playalong track. So I first recorded the octave mandola track for the slower lead, then going into the chord accompaniment for the jig - keeping time as best I could without any external scaffolding. Then I added the mandolin for the melody on the faster part. All other instruments were added later to add some texture and drama - listen out for a couple of stereo effects!

By the way: The image isn't of Drummond Castle at all, but of a detail of Edinburgh Castle. I've never visited Drummond Castle.

For those who like technical information: I played a Blue Moon octave mandola, a Fylde Touchstone Walnut mandolin (both with a Gravity Gold Series Striker 1.5 mm pick), an unbranded bowed psaltery, a Clarke tin whistle, a rain stick, a toy tambourine, and a miniature drum from Hobgoblin Music. (Thank you to my lovely son for the use of the latter two.) The audio tracks were recorded on a Tascam DR-05 recorder (which was also a recommendation from John!) and mixed on Audacity.
  2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds fine, I especially like the slow air part, Dennis. Now I will look for some scottish music to celebrate Burns Night...
  3. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    REally pretty Dennis! That Fylde just rinngs for days. Great mix of instruments too!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    And a fine job you have done here, Dennis. I can never decide which tempo I prefer when I play this one, and you have satisfied both in your version here. Sorry I had no pictures of Drummond Castle to send to you.
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I too, like the different tempos and enjoy the Scottish melody. Nicely played, Dennis.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    You succeeded in making a fine recording of an interesting arrangement., Dennis.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Impressive playing there Dennis, very Scottish sounding, and a very clean, crisp sound.
    Inspiring!
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you all. I appreciate the feedback and will bear it in mind for future recordings. It's good to know what you enjoy.

Join in the fun!
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Really nice Dennis, I like the transition and the use of your bowed psaltry, I had one of those when I was a teen but it was poorly constructed and wouldn't stay in tune.
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you, David! Mine doesn't stay in tune either, or necessarily get in tune in the first place!
  11. John W.
    John W.
    Another nice performance on a collection of instruments, Dennis.