Bank Of Turf

1. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    I did my best searching for this one in the Table Of Contents since it is a pretty popular one, but nothing came up. Maybe a contender for a future SOTW?

This was a really fun jig to learn. Here's a bit of some backstory I found...

"When no manuscript paper was available Padraig [O’Keeffe] would improvise by drawing the lines for the tablature using his bow as a ruler. On one famous occasion he met Denis Murphy who was cutting turf. Denis wanted to learn a particular tune and so Padraig drew lines on the turf and marked out the notes. Denis named the tune "The Bank of Turf" in consequence…"

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine jig and well played there, Jason. I hope Dennis did not want to take the dots home with him to learn the tune.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nicely played, Jason, excellent. I enjoy the melody as well as the back story. John's last line is funny...
  4. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely jig , well played jason, was trying to wean myself off jigs but hard to resist this one
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine playing, Jason. I’m looking forward to Lawrence’s version.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing, Jason and thanks for the motivation to get this one recorded, though I did crash and burn here, with help from a very persistent songbird.

7. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    nice one Simon, thoroughly enjoyed your duet

i finally got around to having a quick go at it this morning, playing has been a bit of a challenge lately with arthritis , had to change to a opened handed picking hand, though silver lining , it might just be an improvement

8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    That was deadly Lawrence! Sorry to hear about the arthritis but happily your playing sounds unaffected by it here, great stuff altogether!
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lawrence, you play this jig so fluently and freely that I would never have guessed you were having arthritic problems. Great performance, sir.
  10. John W.
    John W.
    Nice playing, Lawrence, I enjoyed that. Is that one of “the best Celtic mandolins” by NF ?
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Lawrence, the bird was a very persistent singing partner!
    Sorry to hear about your arthritis, hope it improves into the summer.
    But amazing! More than diddly playing, I don’t know how you get that precise bounce!

Very enjoyable, and good to hear from you, thanks.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon, another fine version from you there. Missed it when you first posted it.
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon – I waited for the bird landing next to you on this log.

Lawrence – thanks for this fine playing despite arthritis. Great sound and great triplets as usual.