Donna's Waltz

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Yet another waltz - my recording of this Phil Cunningham tune is based on an transcription by Alf Warnock.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/mVGN0JQSw04

X: 1
    T:Donna's Waltz
    R:Waltz
    C:Phil Cunningham
    Z:added by Alf Warnock - alf0@rogers.com - www.alfwarnock.info/alfs
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:A
    d cB|"A"A3B AF|"D"D2 DF ED|"A"E2 ec BA|"E7"B3c BA|
    "D"FA2B AF|"Bm"D2 DF ED|"A"E2 F2 A2|[1 "E7"E3d cB:|[2 A2 c2 e2||
    "F#m"a6|"C#m"g6|"Bm"f3g fe|"A"ce3 ce|
    "F#m"f2 fg fe|"A"c2 ec BA|"Bm"BA F2 c2|"E7"B3d cB|
    "D"A3B AF|"Bm"D2 DF ED|"A"E2 ec BA|"E7"B3c BA|
    "D"FA2B AF|"Bm"D2 DF ED|"A"E2 F2 A2|"A"A6|]

Martin
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That's a tune by Phil that I did not know, Martin, so thanks for the abc file. I like your new camera angle - it gives a clear view of what you are doing with both hands.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful Waltz, Martin. Good to hear and see your Gibson again.
    Special thanks for the ABC of this Phil Cunningham tune.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Martin and Frithjof, I have just had a play through the abc Martin loaded and I think that the compiler (Alf Warnock) has missed out the left repeat barline in the second bar (after the anacrusis). As written the repeat at bar 9 takes you right back to the very start, so you end up with 3 quavers being played in the repeat which throws out the waltz timing. Martin, you have already made this correction in the recording you have posted here.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Frithjof.

John: yes, I noticed the mistake in the anacrusis and corrected for it. Happens fairly regularly in these types of transcriptions. The tune is from Phil's album "The Palomino Waltz" where it is played as a set with the title tune. Silly Wizard have also played it.

I have just noticed that our own Christian has recorded the tune a few months ago, although I can't find an SAW thread with his recording. So, here it is (apologies if already posted):

Martin
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Christian’s is a nice one, too. I like his recording style with intro and outro.
  7. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Very pretty Martin!
  8. John W.
    John W.
    Another comforting waltz - thanks Martin & Christian.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Martin for posting my version of Donna's Waltz, there are some waltzes, I didn't post yet. Don't want to inundate SAW with waltzes...