Reginald's Waltz (Reg Bouvette)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a Canadian waltz, written by Reg Bouvette in the mid 1960s. I've used a transcription by Alf Warnock, from Tunearch at:

https://tunearch.org/wiki/Reginald%27s_Waltz

The annotations at Tunearch are:

"A popular “contest” waltz in the Western United States and in Canada where it was popularized by both Don Messer and Andy DeJarlis. The tune was composed in the mid-1960’s by Canadian Reg Bouvette (1923-1992), a fiddler in the Western Canadian/Métis style. He recorded this tune as a single in 1967, and later on his first album (1974). "

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/zzec0rIe0u4

With the closer camera position I've used this weekend, this is a chance to get a good look at my Gibson in its dilapidated glory -- that instrument has had a hard life!

Martin
  2. Munnix
    Munnix
    Sweet tune and nice playing. Thanks for sharing.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Waltzes are certainly becoming flavour of the month, Martin. Another fine example.
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The dilapidated Gibson plays this nice waltz convincingly in your hands,Martin. Has it eve had a refret job?
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks Munnix, John and Christian.

Christian: My Ajr was added to Dan Beimborn's Gibson registry (Serial number 68884) when it was still with a previous owner. Dan's description says "replaced tuners & fingerboard". I have no way of verifying this, but I know that the instrument was at one stage sold by Charles Johnson at Mandolin World Headquarters, and the fretboard replacement may have been part of a restoration at that time. What I can say is that the current fretboard and tuners are exactly historically correct for a 1921 Ajr -- except that it actually intonates very well, unlike most vintage Gibson fretboards...

Martin
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Good playing, good sound. Thanks for having us a closer look to your Gibson Ajr.
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Martin for the infomation about the Gibson.
    I played this tune after the sheet music from Tunearch, but the transcription is rhythmically a little strange, so I listened to a Reg Bouvette clip and tried to fashion my playing after his phrasing:
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian -- that sounds very nice. I have to say I didn't actually use the version form Tunearch myself but a slightly different variant of Alf Warnock's ABC transcription which I had downloaded from a now-defunct site (complete with misattributed composer):

X: 3
    T:Reginald's Waltz
    R:waltz
    C:Andy deJarlis, 1967
    Z:Alf warnock, alf0@rogers.com - http://members.rogers.com/alf0
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:D
    (3FAd|"D"f2 c3e|d2 F3A|"G"G3F GA|"Em"B6|
    "A7"A,4 (3CEA|c4 (3BcB|"D"Ad BA dB|AF DF Ad|
    "D"f2 c3e|d2 F3A|"G"G3F GA|"Em"B4 (3dcB|
    "A7"A3B cd|e3g fe|"D"d6-|d4 ef||
    "G"g3d Bd|g3g ag|"D"f2 A2 (3Bcd|f3f gf|
    "A7"e2 AB c2| e2 f2 g2| "D"f3g fe|"D7"d2 e2 f2|
    "G"g3d Bd|g3g ag|"D"f2 (3ABc d2| f3f gf|
    "A7"e2 A2 c2| e4 (3gfe|"D"d6-|d4 z2 |]

Martin
  9. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Beautiful renditions both! Love the Gibbie close up Martin, great tone! Like your take on Reg Christian! I've been studying him, some great stuff. His recordings though, leave me with trouble picking him out. I think thier awful. But that's just me...