What is everyone working on?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. NDO
    NDO
    I notice my MD415 tunes more easily and is more stable than my MD605, which seems odd.

Here’s a tune I started working on a couple of weeks ago. Finally found one my wife actually likes.

https://youtu.be/lCjLLBdVPrY

2. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Good job on that one, NDO. I like that tune also. It reminds us to take time to spend with those we love, especially our kids.
  3. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Nice one, NDO.
  4. JeffLearman
    JeffLearman
    "Manzanita with Clams" This is the mando I recently built from a Saga AM-10 kit.

I've been practicing this a lot. You'd think I could play it by now!

5. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I liked that, Jeff, and it looks and sounds like a pretty good mandolin, too.
  6. JeffLearman
    JeffLearman
    Thanks! If anyone would like the backing track I made, just let me know (and let me know if you want it faster or slower -- this is about 3/4 the original speed.) It's a bit quieter than I intended in this video.

I'm really enjoying playing this mando. I had to put a soundpost in (I must have made the top too thin.) The top string is a bit quieter and I'm thinking heavier strings would help.
  7. NDO
    NDO
    Wow Jeff, that is super impressive. Both the playing and the mandolin. I was feeling good about my newbie progress until seeing that
    Well done sir!
  8. BadExampleMan
    BadExampleMan
    Jeff, that's great. The mandolin sounds beautiful. You should be proud of both your skills - making it and then playing it!

I had to relearn a lesson tonight, one that I keep having to relearn. I'll get to a point where I feel like I'm going backwards in my skills rather than forward. My tone is crappy, my fingers can't seem to move around the fretboard, and I get more and more frustrated ... and then I take a close look at the strings and try to remember when I last changed them - and how long it takes for them to collect all that schmutz?

So now I have a nice new set of Daddario XTs on there and whadya know all of a sudden I can play again!
  9. JeffLearman
    JeffLearman
    Yeah, strings matter! Thanks both of you.

NDO, you have every reason to be proud of your progress. I've played guitar for about 55 years so I really should be better! Adapting to the mando was pretty easy overall. The hardest part is when improvising, when going up to the next string I often hit a note that's a whole note above where I meant to go. The good part is that more than half the time that's still a good note!
  10. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I started work on the TOM, Amazing Grace, about a month ago. About a week later I was at a funeral and heard a really neat arrangement of the hymn "Come Thou Fount of Many Blessings" and I got sidetracked.

I tracked down the score used by the pianist (it comes from "The Essential Collection for the Church Pianist" published by Hope Publishing Company and the arrangement is by Becki Slagle Mayo). The whole score would be a bit ambitious for me, but I isolated one verse that I thought I could tackle in addition to the main melody line. So here is my simplification of Ms. Mayo's arrangement, as played by the TablEdit midi player.

Module 1, on screen during the video, is the mandolin. Module 2 is the main melody for mandola, Module 3 is chords. I haven't decided what exactly I want to do with this to make it two or three verses worth, but maybe once with solo mandolin doing the melody line plus mandola chords, then twice with mandola melody, the mandolin as shown on screen and mandola chords.

My rendition of it is nowhere near up to speed nor even under my fingers yet. Will do a video when I get it there. In the mean time, here is my arrangement, so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm1cF79yio0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345