Hard case for Flatiron mandola - one possible solution

1. Explorer
    Explorer
    My first Flatiron 1SH mandola, which I bought new, still has its original case. I also have a Flatiron Scout in great shape which I bought used from Bruce Weber, which came in a hard case from an unidentified manufacturer. That left me with three which weren't in hard cases.

At some point I had pulled a mandolin out of its Crossrock A/F fiberglass case. I looked at the just-emptied Crossrock, and then at my Flatiron mandola, and then thought, "I wonder, would this thing actually fit into...?" And it did!

I've since done some trips with the Flatiron mandola in the Crossrock as a carry-on, and an empty gig bag in the checked luggage to use in-town on the other end of the flight. I have never been forced to check the mandola, but my Crossrock does have the TSA lock, and I use the Crossrock just in case I'm ever forced to check it. A recent set of flights had a twin-prop for the final leg, and no carry-on space, but no instrument went on that trip. Still, it pays to be prepared!

I just ordered a second Crossrock last week, which means just one more Flatiron mandola will need a hard case at that point. I've also been reading that Crossrock sporadically made the cases without the TSA lock, so I have to check that what I receive on Tuesday matches the pictures and description of what I bought.

My suspicion is that the Mid Missouri / Big Muddy mandola will also fit into the Crossrock. I don't own one, but I think I'll be able to arrange for a test fitting before the summer is out. If I manage to do so, I'll post about it here.