Week #9 ~ Salt Creek

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Joe -- I got to play a Collings for just a wee bit the other day and fretting it was like the difference between day and night compared to my Gibson.

Joe is sounds very much like you just need to get that Gibson in for a serious setup -- believe me it worth it. If not you are fighting the instrument like you imply.

What is it a 60's A-50? No reason why that thing won't play like the proverbial butter -- are the frets A-OK?

dcdan -- did not realize you had come over from the fiddle -- that's a big help on the left hand -- still you have to master the pick and the right hand so its still a challenge.
  2. dcdan
    dcdan
    Its something to overcome because my Right hand can't keep up with my left or with my mind...its a little frustrating but I guess thats why we practice
  3. dcdan
    dcdan
    I also had no idea what bluegrass, or celtic music was before six months ago.
    I come from a classical, rock and roll and Jazz backround
  4. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Bernie, It's a 1930s model Gibson. I've been told 1935 but I'm not positive. I have had it in for setup. Maybe my buddy's not as good as I'd like to think he is at setup. It is what he does for a living. The frets are small. The Collings I played has a radial (radiated?) neck...it's got a bit of curve to it and if that's what makes it play easier, I'm all for it! I've played my Gibson girl against other newer instruments and it beats them all for tone quality. For all my Gibson girl has been through, it's amazing that she plays and sounds as good as she does. But that's a bit of a long story and I've got to get to bed so I can perform for Uncle Sam in the a.m.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Joe, hope Uncle Sam appreciates your performances as much as we do!
  6. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Well if your friend does insturment work for his business I guess we can assume he knows what he is doing. Maybe his style of setup might work well for most it does not happen to fit your style? Just a thought. For example, did he also set up the Collings that played so well for you? Also I'm sure at your friend's set up included checking out the bridge, nut and neck? Another thought -- where is your action set? If you happen to be using a very high action that can REALLY make a difference. You probably know all this but I just thought I mention it. There is a chap on YouTube ( billton12) who plays a 30's Gibson A probably very similar to yours -- he is an excellent player and his mando sounds like yours.
  7. Susanne
    Susanne
    Great job, everyone! David, your B part rocks!!!
  8. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Barbara, yes, it was only 2 tracks. I did the guitar part in one take, then it took a few tries to get a mandolin part I thought was ok. All I did for editing was add a bit of stereo separation, and boost the volume of the lead instrument in spots.

I realized this morning that I could have done better by splitting up the tracks a bit so I could always have the rhythm down first. The second guitar solo still bugs me because I screwed up the rhythm a bit and could never quite compensate with the mandolin track. Oh well, at least I'll have a better approach next time.
  9. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    Matt your really good. How long have you been playing
  10. etteM
    etteM
    Hey i bought an instructional dvd yesterday ( dennis caplinger, basics and beyond ) that has salt creek on it , but i need a day or two more for the new joints on my fingers to heal, and i need to get a webcam

so in case it takes me too long, i guess its ok to add it later that that week?

great group
  11. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    this is a very open group, etteM, and no one's gonna mind if there are late submissions. And if you're really worried about just do the video with plenty of knees showin' as Barb loves that!!!
  12. romkeymm
    romkeymm
    Like the "B" part David, did you come up with that yourself??

Dan, you can really tell that you had been playing some stringed instrument before because after only 6 months soundin pretty darn good!

Shawn, don't let the camera fool you, it adds 10 beats per second... I've been playing on and off for about 6 or 7 years. Started in high school, but really haven't played at all since I've been in college, (3 years). I'm hoping to get back at it though well, that's the plan at least!
  13. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    More to aspire to...Kym Warner, Jesse Cobb, Andy Falco

14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    That is an awesome performance those three give!
  15. etteM
    etteM
    sorry, didnīt know where to post this..iīve gotten a webcam thats compatible with mac now, but i dont have a program to make it work? it only works with skype now.. any tips?
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    etteM, I'd suggest you start a new discussion (rather than replying to an old one, like this) titled, need help with webcam and my Mac, and I'm sure someone knowledgeable will help!
  17. billkilpatrick
    etteM - my mac came with something called "iMovie HD" - yours?
  18. etteM
    etteM
    At least theres something called "imovie ", but i cant get it to play or record the webcam, just says that thereīs no camera connected.
  19. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I had the same problem with IMovie HD so I use Quicktime to record my videos. It should be able to find your camera.
  20. Susanne
    Susanne
    what kind of computer do you have? All modern macs have a built-in iSight camera in the screen that works just fine with imovie.
  21. Daci
    Daci
    I have SO far to go to catch up with you folks! REALLY nice! Thar first video knocked my socks off!!!!!
  22. etteM
    etteM
    Yo
    its embarrasssing to be this late, but i just got the webcam working and havent been playing that much since i practiced this one.

couldnīt figure out embedding it, sorry.. anyway here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgRsz4MmbK0

i know the beat is off and its just otherwise verry unpolished, but that just makes the rest of you look even better
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The way to embed your you tube video... you need to start with 'post reply' rather than 'quick reply' for the you tube icon to show up.

Start at your YouTube video, and on the right hand side is something that says "embed" You click that and copy it. Then go to the discussion you want to reply to, click "post reply" and type your message. When you are ready to embed your video, at the top of the message pane is a "tube" icon. Click it, and paste the embed url you copied from your video in the window that pops open, and click, OK. To check how it looks, you can preview your message, before posting it.

When I clicked on the link in your message above, it doesn't take me to your video. Try again, with the procedure I just outlined~
  24. etteM
    etteM

thanks.. worked

haha, notice how i try to do the intro kind of boogie- style the second time while trying to look like its improvisation

just a question about the youtube videos, i cant find my videos by just going to the youtube mainpage and searching for them ( the exact title even), and i think i have the tags right?
  25. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Says it's a private video, etteM. Might need to change your YouTube settings.
  26. billkilpatrick
    here's your youtube addres:

http://www.youtube.com/user/etteM1

... when i put "etteM1" in the youtube search engine, it fetched-up your "geilo skiheis" video.

what make mandolin do you have? ... looks and sounds serious!
  27. etteM
    etteM
    It`s a Morgan? Don`t know what model. It wasn`t too expensive, in Dollars about 450 or something like that, just looks more glam because of the fake fur i glued on my old guitarstrap

so, i made them public now, but i still canīt find my videos if i just search for them?

I just looked at a few other ones after mine, and i think the sound on my video is kind of too much (diskant?), or something, or maybe its just the (recording)volume thats way too high? but it doesnīt seem like i can fix that on the program iīm using to record and upload them? or maybe im playing a little bit too hard?

Iīd like some constructive feedback on my playing if you could help me out. I know the rythm is off and it kind of sounds like a Polka or something at the end, i guess i donīt notice it that much when iīm playing.. I also didnīt know that my right hand seems kind of too loose(?) until i watched the video.

Iīve got a metronome that iīve tried practicing with, but when i play tunes and not just scales i just cant listen to the metronome at the same time, and after just a few notes iīm out of sync
  28. billkilpatrick
    one thing that improved my playing (to me, at least) was tapping my foot as i played. as for a critique on your playing ... i'd say rhythm is what you've got to work on - once you get that down it'll be smooooth sailing from then on. a loose right hand is a good thing - don't loose it!

morgan monroe - ahhh yes. i repeat, sounds serious! complimenti ...
  29. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    Naw, it's never too late.
    This is a $35 Rogue second. J74s, a Fender heavy pick and an idiot driving. We sort of play this as if it were three parts.

30. etteM
    etteM
    after looking at the morgan monroe ones, I think maybe my mandolin is some kind of a copy.. It looks a lot like this one:

http://www.morganmonroe.com/MMS4_00d...aff6cc66f.html

- at least the neck does, but the Signature isnīt like the link below, it just says " Morgan" not "Morgan Monroe" in a simpler font and i think the details on the brass(?) cover thing are a lot simpler. the finish isnīt the same either, but i guess that would vary.

http://themandolinhut.com/mms%203%20...lin%20%20f.jpg

And its an electric one, it has an output for amp at the end and two "tuning knobs" for when its plugged in that donīt seem to work at all(?). I had to glue them tight after i bought the mandolin because they were vibraiting when i played, and i got the bridgething where the strings rest at "fret 0" ( iīll work on my vocabulary ) filed down because my mandoteacher said it was too high.

And the salesguy was throwing all kinds of small umbraco- tools (that i still donīt know what to do with) and picks and ekstra stringsets in the case so that iīd take it, I got the impression that if he couldnīt get me to buy it, nobody stupid enough would ever come by again

but it works for me so far
  31. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    My take on Salt Creek. This was fun to learn! Believe or not I was actually trying to smile in this video. Apparently I can't smile and play mandolin at the same time. Barbara may need to give me lessons.

32. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I've got to learn that one next, Martin. As for the smiling, you have loftier goals than I have. At this point, I'd be thrilled to pass for stoic.
  33. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Had to take it a little slower on the TB.

34. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T:Salt Creek
    C:Traditional
    L:1/8
    Q:450
    M:4/4
    K:A
    z8 | "A"A2 AA A2 AB | cA B"D"c d2 A2 | "G"BA =GA BA GA | BA =GF "E"E2 E2 | "A"A2 AA A2 AB | \
    cA Bc "D"d2 ed | "G"ce fg af ed | cA Bc A4 | "A"A2 AA A2 AB | cA Bc "D"d2 A2 | "G"BA =GA BA GA | \
    BA =GF "E"E4 | "A"A2 AA A2 AB | cA B"D"c d2 ed | "G"ce fg af ed | "E"cA B"A"c A4 | \
    "A"a2 aa a2 ab | c'e be ab ae | "G"=ga gf ef ga | =gf ed cB A2 | "A"a2 aa a2 ab | \
    c'e be ab ae | =ga gf ef ed | "E"cA B"A"c A4 | a2 aa a2 ab | c'e be ab ae | "G"=ga gf ef ga | \
    =gf ed cB A2 | "A"a2 aa a2 ab | c'e be ab ae | "G"=ga gf ef ed | "E"cA Bc "A"A4 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  35. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Working on my Mike Marshall Artistworks lessons. Here's me and Mike doing Salt Creek.

36. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great stuff Bob - you're even swaying like Mike now! Seriously though I love that about the way he plays - the music comes from his whole body and not just his hands. He might be hamming it up at times for the camera but i think it is a great thing to try and emulate to get smooth flowing music. well done.
  37. 9lbShellhamer
    9lbShellhamer
    A good one from the past here...just getting around to learning it! (Thanks to the Flinner BG course)
  38. jonny250
    jonny250
    well done 9lb, sounding good
  39. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's sounding really good! You've got some fun double stops and such a steady beat.
  40. GHall
    GHall
    Revisiting one of the earlier tunes.....
  41. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Wow. Almost to fast for my aged ears.
  42. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Been listening to some old tunes, Salt Creek is the best!
    Well done Mike, Don, David (though I couldn’t hear the vid), David (more cartoons please), Barbara, MandolinGirl and GHall!

Here’s some more:
    MATT BRUNO, SALT CREEK LESSON WITH VARIATIONS
    Thanks Matt.
    I never could get those slides, fills and extra bits, so now's as good a time as any!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123