Week #354 ~ Lament for Abercairney (Niel Gow)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Lament for Abercairney (Niel Gow), which is also known as Lament For James Moray Of Abercaney, Lamentation For James Moray Of Abercarney, Neil Gow’s Lament For Abercairny, Neil Gow’s Lamentation, Neil Gow’s Lamentation For Dr. Moray, Neil Gow’s Lamentation For James Moray, Niel Gow’s Lament For Dr. Moray, Niel Gow’s Lament For Dr. Moray Of Abernathy, Niel Gow’s Lament For James Moray Of Abercairney, Niel Gow’s Lament For The Death Of James Moray Of Abercairny, Niel Gow’s Lamentation For Abercairney, Niel Gow’s Lamentation For Abercarney, Niel Gow’s Lamentation For Doctor James Moray, Esq. Of Abercairny, Niel Gow’s Lamentation For James Moray, Niel Gow’s Lamentation For James Moray Esquire Of Abercarney, Niel Gow’s Lamentation For James Moray Of Abercairney, Niel Gow’s Lamentation For James Moray Of Abercairny, Niel Gow’s Lamentation For James Moray, Esq., Of Abercarney, Niel Gow’s Lamentation For Jas Moray Esqr. Of Abercarney.

Here is a link to nine settings of the tune on thesession.org

Here are some videos:

2. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Lovely tune. Here's my attempt:

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing, Bob. I love our Scottish slow airs as they give you a chance to express yourself so much. Here is my version, from a few years ago in fact, so an early posting this week! Played on my JK bouzouki and acoustic guitar.

Notice that videos 2 and 3 that you've posted are coming up as Not Available, Barbara.

4. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Two very nice versions.
    Bob, thanks for this lesson in all kinds of ornamentation and syncopation
  5. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    John and Manfred, thanks for the kind words. John, what a sweet, stately version yours is! I love the blend of the two instruments.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Great versions by Bob and John. John I fear you have an unfair advantage on these Scottish tunes, it seems to help to be Scottish to plan them. I am only 1/4 Scottish so I am hoping to leverage some of that Scottish mojo on my version. Played on my Sobell mandolin, Sobell octave mandolin, concertina, organ and double bass.

7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great job all around -- this is such a rewarding tune, and as John says, it gives plenty of scope for fills, counter melody and personal touches to fill the spaces.

I have previously recorded this beautiful Scottish lament with an octave mandolin lead using Eric Allan's arrangment.

However, this is a new recording I made today with a completely different arrangement, originally intended for twin fiddles, guitar and double bass, which I have adapted to two mandolins, tenor guitar and mandocello.

The arrangement is by Pete Clark from:

http://www.riddellfiddles.co.uk/teac...lark%20Set.pdf

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    David, a very fine arrangement and very well delivered. Quite serious-sounding, which fits the slow air genre well. The Sobell sounds great!
    Martin, super playing and arrangement. I always enjoy your pictures too. Very wide selection of very Scottish places here again.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's a cracking start - the videos posted here so far are uniformly brilliant!
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's my arrangement of Neil Gow's Lamentation For James Moray Esq. of Abercairny. The lead is played on my Kentucky KM600 mandolin. The harmony is played on a 1913 Gibson F2 mandolin, while the backup is strummed on a Simon & Patrick guitar. (Some tough acts for follow this week... well done everyone!)

11. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Lovely stuff, Michael. I like the contrast between the two very different mando voices.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely version, Michael! You have captured the feel of a Scottish tune beautifully here! I agree with Bob re the mando voices too. Your choice of photos is excellent.
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Some tough acts for follow this week... well done everyone!... and you submitted the next,Michael!

What a joy to listen to your tasteful versions. That’s my simple attempt without any accompaniment:

14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done, Frithjof... and that's as mighty fine sounding mandolin (as remarked previously) and its sound fits this tune nicely!
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, there are some mispicks in this one - but I'm all proud of myself for getting this done almost "on time".

I knew this tune from recordings by Chris Leslie and by Simon Mayor. It's easy to play the way I play it, and really hard to play the way they do!
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good playing, Frithjof and Gelsenbury. Your instruments sound great too!
  17. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice contributions from everyone. Here's my take.
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very atmospheric version you have produced here, Dusty, and with no backing too! It's a very strong melody.
  19. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Thanks for the words of encouragement John. I am grateful to still play my A model, my first good mandolin that started me on my mandolin journey I so enjoy. It continues to inspire me to play.
  20. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bump
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice David and Frithjof, beautiful in fact.
    I have limited internet access at the moment but will listen to everyone else when I can.
    Looking forward to hearing Dennis!