Week #157 ~ Tennessee Waltz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jay, welcome! Good job on your first submission... keep plugging away at videoing, even with your iPhone... and congrats on a successful uploading and linking to your mp3 on soundcloud!
  2. laura809
    laura809
    It is nice to see so many newer players posting on this one. Those were all solid performances. With the sad lyrics this song works well at a slow pace, but I think a lot of people will enjoy hearing solid slower versions of SAW tunes that are traditionally faster. Keep on posting!
  3. billkilpatrick
    this is how it starts ... pretty soon they'll mandolin orchestras all over the place! (take no prisoners) :o)
  4. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Nice job Karon and Jay.
    You Newbies aren't the only stalkers.
    I've been WATCHING YOU too.
    Watching you guys working so hard inspires me to keep plugging.
    All of us are working to get better. And none of us will ever learn everything about mandolin.
    If we did we'd probably get bored and buy a Banjo.
    [Excluding Tenor Banjo's, they're cool.]
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Well played Jay -good steady version. There are instructions on embedding audio and recording video in the "New to the Group" thread (although that was before Soundcloud and for audio your link works just as well).
  6. bbice58
    bbice58
    Thought i would jump in i have been enjoying the site for a while now ,this is my first attempt at posting a video .quality not that good ,laptop camera and mic. Mandolin is a The Loar 600 ,still just a beginner.

7. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Welcome bbice. Your first video looks and sounds better than any of mine . Nice job.
    Gary
  8. tomgun
    tomgun
    There is only one job any of us should do: encourage others. Period.

Beginner schbeginner. Everybody is. Everybody has a voice. Whatever it is, use it.

I'm a newcomer here and I like all the variety. Let's hear everybody.

Thank you all for a nice group.
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great to see you, bbice, seems like good enough quality to me. I hope we'll see more of you. By the way, although this is called the Song a Week group, nobody minds if it takes you more than a week to post your version, and you can go back and post a version of any of the older songs - We'll always be glad to see it!
  10. bbice58
    bbice58
    Thanks for the Welcome , Hope to be posting more ,it usually takes me a little longer to get them down. But its good practice and a good goal to help me with my playing.

Bruce
  11. WayneLetang
    WayneLetang
  12. WayneLetang
    WayneLetang
    my stab at Tennessee Waltz, not very smooth still working it and still have to read the music. Wayne
  13. GHall
    GHall
    My daughter and I have been working on this tune. Hope you enjoy
  14. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Those are really pretty slides and double stops. What a beautiful duet.
  15. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great tremolo already seven years ago!
    I played my version on my Breedlove FF, which doesn't sound SO bad, so I think, I'm gonna keep it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAeMJAejxKo
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I was looking back to when this was first posted, Christian and see it was away back in April 2012. I had forgotten I had posted a version then, and after a quick listen, prompted by your tremolo comment, I realise that I played tremolo on parts of the tune!
    Fine version you have created here with a good instrument mix and balance.
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A fine Christian-style recording!
  18. bbcee
    bbcee
    Really nice, Christian, I like the feeling. Glad you brought it back from the dead.
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Not so bad, pretty darn good in fact.
    (Nice tremolo too, Dude).
  20. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Beautiful Christian! And one good inspiration deserves another!
  21. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    You have that abiliy to make your mandolin sing, Frank. Thanks for the fine playing!
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Wonderful tension between notes and doublestops Frank, well done.
  23. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I like this warm tone, Frank, which you produce with every note!
  24. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine performance once again, Frank. You always manage to put a lot of feeling into your renditions.
  25. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks Gentlemen! Thanks for noticing my intent here, and what I "try" to " explain " with every tune. Age and all that has helped in that aspect. You really can't fake it. That's where as Christian so kindly remarks, you have to really be able to evoke the lyrical message, without using words. Thanks again.
  26. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Frank's version sounds so authentic, you can feel the soul of the tune.
  27. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    It has only been a year, since I last recorded this tune, but hs was in D major, completely in the first position.
    The new recording is in G, and I tried to change positions as smoothly as possible.
  28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Certainly worth the effort of re-recording this oldie, Christian. Good range and a fine backing.
  29. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Those high notes are so clear and full, Christian - lovely sound.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12