Jenny Pluck Pears (Playford, 1651)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just recorded this well-known English country dance tune from Playford's Dancing Master of 1651, using a four-part harmony arrangement found here:

Link to PDF sheet music

I got prompted into recording this by Bill Kirkpatrick's lovely duo recording of the tune he posted yesterday in the Classical forum (Link).

My recording on Mid-Mo and tenor guitar is:

Martin
  2. dfalkiewicz
    dfalkiewicz
    Most excellent!
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here is Leveret's arrangemnet of Jenny Pluck Pears, it is said that the arrangement is a combination of Jenny Pluck Pears and Bobbing Joe, both from Playford 1651 edition. I'm not sure about that but I like the arrangement.

4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I really am liking the variable backgrounds lately. Also liking the sweet sounds of all your coordinated instruments (not to mention hats!)
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Such a nice Playford dance. Three fine renditions – including the duo recording by Bill Kirkpatrick.
    David – happy performing against a blue screen.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very medieval Martin, and lovely combination of the two tunes David. Will have to play it! Thanks.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That Leveret arrangement is so interesting! They took the A part of Bobbing Joe, modified the B part, added the A part of Jenny Pluck Pears, and turned it into a great 3-part tune. However ... I'm not just saying this out of Mandolin Cafe partisanship, I really do like David's version even better than that of Leveret. The cello and octave give it a depth that is difficult to achieve.

Martin's arrangement has the slow part of Jenny Pluck Pears, which isn't in the Leveret arrangement. The harmony is also great and creates a completely different atmosphere from David's version. It's another fine hour of the Song-a-Week group, and another item on my to-learn list.