T.o.m 08/2022: Bluegrass stomp

1. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Hey Everyone. I'm still here and still trying to keep this alive. I was on the road for the past month and thankfully, out of technological range. I was hoping someone thrown their hat into the ring on last months, but it is what it is.

This months is one I've enjoyed working on for sometime and would like to see how some of you all work it.

Bluegrass stomp is fun to play

Bill Monroe and Bluegrass Boys

Doc & Dawg

Ricky Skaggs

Go down a bit on this link to forum and you'll find a downloadable link to a PDF
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...luegrass+stomp

Another link to a PDF of Bluegrass Stomp.
    http://file:///C:/Users/ottos/Deskto...ndolin-tab.pdf

I've had a heck of a time finding TABs for it, but I was able to find several lessons to help. Tons on YT

I hope some of you will be able to show off you versions, I know I will be
  2. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    After listening to the you tubes here, I thought I might play around with this a bit, it's a pretty cool tune.
    I get a dead link on the second pdf, though. Could there be an error in the link, or maybe it's no longer available.
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    hmmm. that second link appears to be a local link to a file on Otto's own hard drive. You kinda hafta trick the forum software to attach a file and I can't remember how I did it some time ago. Seems like I had to upload the file into the "album" on my profile page and then grab a link to that and paste it into the post. I know it involved some trial and error. I am not even sure that I was able to make it work.
  4. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Sorry all about the tab situation, I thought it'd be easier to get some for you, but I had a hard time finding something solid. Again, I did find several lessons on the tune though on the interweb
  5. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Here's my crack at it. I gave up after the 300th try on recording it. I was starting to lose my mind. Makes you realize how good the pros are at it when they put an album together

6. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I would rate that as PRETTY DARN GOOD, Otto.
  7. bbcee
    bbcee
    Seconded! Nice job on those fiendish triplets, and you played the doublestop section with authority. I only hope my version sounds half as good!
  8. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I don't see the link to your recording, Otto.
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Can’t see anything on my iPhone either, Sue
  10. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Thanks all, I've been working on it day and night. I think I drove my family nuts.

Here's the external link
    https://vimeo.com/740202188
  11. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Love it!
  12. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Sounded great, Otto!
  13. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Thanks everyone. Hope to see someone else throw their hat into the ring
  14. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I would like to try it at some point, it's a cool tune. Right now I am focused on getting ready for Wernick Camp and finishing my massive 4 year all encompassing volunteer graphics project (all marketing materials, programs, banners, collateral, shirts ,etc etc etc) for my town's 300th. It's over at the end of September, and I hope to be able to pay more attention to my instruments after that!
  15. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Finally got to hear it Otto, truly awesome job dude! You did good on getting those blues licks down. I love it. I really want to work it up here, too, but too many other projects going on right now and precious little time. Thanks for the working link, man.
  16. bbcee
    bbcee
    Otto, I think I may have beat you in number of takes on this one. It's so open to variations that I was getting option anxiety. Some of the pick direction phrases were throwing me for a loop as well. I punked out on the triplets ... I heard Frank Wakefield play it like I've done here, but unlike me, Frank can play triplets into next week!

Played on my 2 month old Gatti mandolin. Really digging the sound, though I feel like a tractor driver behind the wheel of a Ferrari!

17. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Wow, bbcee. Just WOW. I think you and the Gatti are a good team. A high powered machine driven well.

And I did hear you sneak a good triplet in there.
  18. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Wow, bbcee. Really nicely done. So clean and well picked. Really enjoyed this. Thanks for adding your version.

Your mandolin is gorgeous and sound amazing.
  19. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thank you very much, both. This is one that I’ll play forever I think, at the very least to throw in new variations. And to practice those +*@€% triplets!!

Thanks for leading this group, Otto!
  20. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Option anxiety, I love it.
    You and your mando both sound really good.
  21. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    That sounds great, bbcee!
  22. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    No worries bbcee. Again, just a great version you posted, I'm still amazed on how clean it sounds. Great job again