Artistworks

1. rcerbone
    rcerbone
    Has anyone used the Artistworks service? I have about got all that I can get out of mandolessons and was thinking about trying Artistworks for a few months. having a difficult time picking focusing on Sierra Hull or Mike Marshall. Any thoughts? Any better options? I looked at Pegged Nation and I like the feedback that you get from Artistworks, plus it's cheaper than weekly live lessons here. Any feedback welcome.
  2. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Hi, rcerbone.

I have done the Artistworks course with Caterina Lichtenberg. I don't know about Hull or Marshall, but Lichtenberg's lessons are very well laid out. She does an explanation of the piece, then plays it in another video. A third video has the accompaniment, with variable speed. A single lesson has all the video exchanges to go with it. There's also a screen where you can see all the video exchanges in calendar order. I would think the other teachers' sites would also be like this.

The best idea would be lessons in person. For busy adults, biweekly might be a good solution. However, "mandolin" is a huge subject and finding a great teacher in the idiom you want may not be possible.
  3. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I have a subscription to Artistworks, Mike Marshall. It's on hold right now. It's been helpful in a lot of ways, but one big issue that came to the forefront when I put it on hold: Once the subscription is up, you lose access to the lessons and videos. You can print out the hard copy music, but I'm not sure if you have the ability to download and save the feedback videos you receive; I didn't think of that or try to do it, so .....

I've also done an on-line group video course with Matt Flinner. One of the great things about that was that you can download all the videos and materials to use later.

I'm going to be going to a weekend music camp next month; that will be my first in-person experience and I am looking forward to it with excitement and no small amount of trepidation.
  4. BadExampleMan
    BadExampleMan
    I'm also an Artistworks member with Sierra Hull. To be completely honest I mostly signed up because I was fanboying. I was in her Patreon that she started early in the pandemic and she announced it there so I joined.

The most useful part is the video exchanges because there you can get direct, personal feedback on your playing and Sierra is very encouraging but also giving specific advice. I have to say I don't get that much out of the lessons - but that's just me, there's a poor match between her teaching style and my learning style. On the other hand I've been a member of Peghead Nation for like 4 years now. It's thanks to Sharon Gilchrist and Joe K Walsh that I can play at all - but again, that's my personal learning style and YMMV.

The advantage of PN compared to Artistworks is it's less expensive, plus you're allowed to switch courses twice a month per subscription so you can try out different instructors. The disadvantage is it's all one-way instruction. There's no feedback from the instructors.
  5. bbcee
    bbcee
    Hi rcerbone,

There's no chance of live lessons where I live, so I'm all online.

I did a year on AW with Mike Marshall after having done mandolessons as you have done, as well as having taken some 100-level Matt Flinner classes. I learned a lot on the ArtistWorks course - Mike concentrates on fundamentals initially, and it's amazing what he picks up on. His song choices are designed to introduce you to different concepts that you step up to. Along with the curriculum and Mike's invaluable feedback, getting to see how your peers do stuff is really helpful, and I had a couple of nice correspondences with other members.

It's not the be all & end all, but for me it was a year well-spent. You'll hate recording yourself at first, but it's a great feedback tool in & of itself. Combine it with live lessons!