Santa Lucia

1. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Here is another piece from the Italian section of Landau's Mandolin Instrumentals. I added a rythmn track using such chords as seemed good to me.

Saint Lucy is the patron saint of light and eyesight which is why women wear candles on their heads on her festival.
  2. derbex
    derbex
    Well done getting Xena in there
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    While I'm in the process of recording Neapolitan songs, here is Santa Lucia. I posted the score and an earlier 2016 recording here.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin (x2)
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very orchestral, Martin. Well done tremolo in the lower register, too.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Such an evocative melody and so well played here, Martin. You really let the tune breathe!
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Frithjof. These Neapolitan songs benefit from a lot of rubato -- fun to play!

Martin
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds Great Martin I have done a very simple version of this tune, but one of these days, I want to record a more elaborate one.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simple but well played, Christian.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Christian, this is a gorgeous and too brief performance from you. Guitar and mandolin come together so well.
  10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    CC , you do wonderful tremolo and triplets. It may be short, but after posting a 4 and a half minute long song today..I welcome brevity.
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Frithjof, John and Ginny. As I already pointed out, a longer version is on my To-do-list.
  12. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Very nice versions, Martin and Christian!

(I can't see Maudlin Mandolin's version, it says it's "Private" so I can't view it. As I recall, YouTube changed some settings a while back that switched all the older "Unlisted" videos (which a lot of us use), to "Private" unless specific steps were taken to preserve the "Unlisted" status - that's my guess as to what happened to the first video in this thread.)
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Warm nostalgic playing Martin and yours sounds quite Austrian Christian. Very grand!

And here’s a re-post from Frank. Amazing performance !

https://youtu.be/-FP-0D4CmYw
  14. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Molto bello, Frank!
  15. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a simple but effective mandolin duo setting of Santa Lucia, from the same collection as in my recent thread on French Belle Epoque tunes (Link). This is a different (and shorter) version from my previous recording earlier in this thread.

SANTA LUCIA - Célèbre Chanson Napolitaine (arr. Janvier Piétrapertosa Fils)

From "Mandoline-Album: Morceaux choisis & transcrits pour Mandoline seule par Janvier Pietrapertosa Fils" (c. 1900)

http://www.mandoisland.de/noten2010/...trapertosa.pdf

Extracted score of Santa Lucia: Link

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin (x2)

https://youtu.be/iJTexZIArUI

Martin
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    An all-time Neapolitan favourite, Martin. Again, the tune and the instrument are so closely linked in my memory from my younger days.
  17. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Martin, I think I commented once before to the effect that a piece was just exactly what the mandolin was for. If anything, this is even more so. It's hard to think of something that fits the instrument so well, and your playing is great.
  18. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fine duo playing, Martin!
  19. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Very Nice Martin!
  20. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John, Richard, Christian and Frank! It's a nice simple duet setting but always fun to play.

Martin