Dark Girl Dressed in Blue

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s another foot-tapper.
    Sounds Northumbrian or an amalgamation of a couple of well-known tunes.

https://youtu.be/k84ic537pRI
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That's a great thumbnail Simon. I have an old boot like that with a plant growing out of it in my garden. But your song is much better than any old boot. I like the flow of the melody on this one.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You seem to like that spot, Simon. The Eachaig Jig there yesterday and now this tune today. Super playing once again. Very easy and flowing.
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'd like to second what John said. Admirable tone, rhythm and fluency as always!
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    So that's why we don't hear any birds chirping - it's the bulldozer thud
    I now remember what this setting of Stomping the Forest reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Gyci5tw74
  6. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    That is a foot tapper!!! You put forth the joy in ways I cannot. Funnn!
  7. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Good upbeat dance tune there, Simon! Sounds great.

I like the drone too. Seems like you mentioned it before, a while back, but I can't remember - what do you use for the drone? It sounds cool.

I have one other question. The foot tapping sounds like it was recorded indoors or on a wooden floor - it has more resonance (or presence or bass sound or something, not sure what the correct word is) than what one would expect from fairly conservative foot movement on what looks like soft soil with lots of twigs and things that would tend to not produce a thumping sound when stomped on. Or did you have a second mic *underneath* your foot and then added some reverb or something later? I was thinking maybe you dubbed-in a separate audio track of foot-tapping sounds later, along with the drone sound? If so, good synchronization with the foot movements shown in the video. (Hey, I'm a nerd, I like to know how things are made.)

In any case, it sounds really nice!
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Many, many thanks Ginny, John, Dennis, Bertram, Frank and Jess I really appreciate your kind comments.
    (I’m sort of hooked on these Northumbrian small-pipe tunes, love the energy)

-I recorded four other new tunes too John, but I’ll probably do them again as full length feature vids
    The drum really is the ‘peat’ under my feet Jess, it’s a living drum. I usually have to clear away any dry leaves or twigs to get a full tone. Would love to use two microphones as John does but can’t work out how to get them to go into the Zoom H6. I can use a headset as a microphone whn plugged into the recorder but it makes a high pitch buzz if I plug in my old reasonable quality microphone. Microphone works fine plugged into iPhone but not into Zoom H6.
    I have some old piezos, may make something to use as a ‘drum’.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your playing really makes the listener feel good. Simon!
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Hi, Simon, great driving playing out in the forest. Couldn't hear the drums on my smartphone first. With ears buds it sounds great.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh, the recorder was not exactly horizontal so maybe the drum was on one track since the recorder is extremely directional.

During the vid the traffic was so loud I could hardly hear the mandolin. Should have changed location, there are better places, but I'd had enough with the wind increasing on the other (wild side) of the ridgeline.

I was actually a bit disapointed because I wanted to be able to adjust the volume of the drum. Also on the very last tune I recorded that I probably wont post, a songbird started to sing quite aggressively. Whatever -what do they know?

You're making yourself feel good Christian.