Royal Quickstep

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sad that the Queen has passed away. RIP.

Now the music. My poor neighbour had to put up with me playing this lovely tune for over an hour, I love it!
    You can probably hear the vacuum cleaner and what sounds like the floor being clubbed with a baseball bat -but there are no baseball bats in France.
    I was going to ask her what it was but… well, perhaps I’ll wait a bit, maybe talk to her tomorrow…

Of course, not being in my studio there’s also traffic on this recording.

https://youtu.be/qo-AQBqew9o
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    If that was a vacuum cleaner, it was perfectly in tune, and the floor was being clubbed in time My guess is that your neighbor was so pleased with the music she danced to it, and when you talk to her she'll present you with a cake to help you gain weight
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    She was making loud banging noises on the floor, banging the vacuum cleaner into furniture, and banging the vacuum cleaner into her loud table, and banging her vacuum cleaner into anything that makes horrible sound.

But she likes my music so much that her loud banging noises coincided with the beat. She thinks she ruined my recording, but she actually made it better.

I do too much exercise to eat cake Bertram. Unless I eat cake while I'm asleep.

And there are at least two more quite different versions of this tune that I shall record presently. I read (Sabine Baring-Gould) that these tunes were played with ten or twenty parts, each using improvised calls and responses.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I am trying to imagine listening to this tune for over an hour, Simon! Your neighbour must love it when you go outdoors into the woods to make your videos. A catchy wee melody, to be sure, but to be taken in moderation. Makes me appreciate how lucky I am to live in a detached house in a secluded little haven.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    'Your neighbour must love it when you go outdoors into the woods…'
    I love it that my neighbour consumes prodigious amounts of alcohol.
    That way, each day I can practice for 7 hours (no interruptions but the heavy snoring).

[Actually we get on quite well ]
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very relaxed playing, Simon, your neighbour has no reason to complain!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Christian I agree. She should be grateful that I play tunes all through the night when she’s supposed to be asleep, not listening. But then she stops sleeping, and listens on purpose.

No she’s actually lovely, makes me French bread sometimes. Mmmmnn!
    She did once ask me to tone it down.
    -it was sea shanty with the guitar at midnight every day of the week so I understand.

Lots of variety here. There’s even a version of Royal Quickstep that’s not a Quickstep.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    There seem to be quite a few tunes with this name, here’s another (with some more furniture):

https://youtu.be/jwhxSzwbW3M
  9. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    And a rather cute dog, who seems to be keeping you entertained throughout. This is a really good tune, which I didn't know, and played with both oomph and precision.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine recordings both!
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your playing is great, Simon, whether you sit on a tree trunk or on a wicker chair.