Road to Dundee

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Road to Dundee is a traditional Scottish folk ballad. To come up with an arrangement for mandolin and guitar, I listened to some versions on YT. I especially liked the one by the late Alistair Hullet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR9u...&start_radio=1
    He says he's in a twilight zone, where Hank Williams morphs into Andy Stewart.
    I tried to emulate his arrangement, strumming a steel-string guitar in swing rhythm.
    When I had to chose pictures for my video, I decided to use pictiures of Dundee, Oregon.

But I also wanted to do something more European. So I fingerpicked the chords in straight eighths on my classical guitar, played the melody on my bowlback and even tried some Strathspey snaps. To this music, pictures of the Scottish Dundee seemed appropriate
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'd never even heard of Dundee, Oregon. And now you've provided a whole tourist guide! It's an interesting concept to play the same tune in two styles with images to match. You did a great job on both versions, I've listened to both several times and like them equally.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    An interesting interpretation and arrangement of the tune in both videos, Christian. You introduce a neat little bridge between the verses in both and it works well. My preference for the second version is really mainly influenced by the photographs you have chosen , but as a Scot I would pick this one! Dundee is indeed a thriving city now. It was formerly known in Scotland for Jute, Jam and Journalism! It had a huge jute industry, thriving food industry using the fruits from the nearby Carse of Gowrie and still is the home of one of Scotland's biggest newspaper and magazine publishers, D C Thomson, famous for launching hte children's comics like The Beano and Dandy away back in the 1930s! Now it is a centre for the development of high quality computer games among other things.