Week #82 ~ Crested Hens

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Eddie Sheehy
    I used tremolo on Crested Hens so it's DUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU DUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU DUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU ...
  2. Daci
    Daci
    These are just gorgeous! I am truly impressed.
    I also play along with You Tube.
    Already started practicing this one.
  3. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I see what you're doing there Eddie. I'm telling Santa.
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Hold off a few days Martin, the Big Brown Truck is due on Tuesday...
  5. polymerchm
    polymerchm
    Time to stop lurking. Barbara, I love this song. It was a good place for me to jump in. I decided not to work for perfect. I've only been playing for about 8 months.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    polymcerchm, very nice first post! Welcome! Tell us about your mandolin!
  7. polymerchm
    polymerchm
    Its a Breedlove Quartz OF. I am a fan of Breedlove, owning a 17 year old C1/MH guitar as well.
  8. Wingryder
    Wingryder
    I can play it but I cant say I like it enough to play it well.
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I missed this tune when it came around, but instantly loved it when I heard Tosh's version reposted over in the "10 Strings" social group. So, when I sat down today to do this week's tune, I also recorded a version of Crested Hens on my Mid-Mo:

Martin
  10. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Beautiful song, thank you everyone. Hey, polymcerchm, for playing 8 months, that's incredible. You've already developed your own unique and excellent style!
  11. Daci
    Daci
    I went nuts over tis one. Is the second one with the concertenia on a cd?
  12. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Lovely playing as usual Martin and an excellent rendition from Polymerchm too.
    I have spent all this time trying to master the art of digital multi tracking and finally made it- so here is David James' fine arrangement for 3 mandolins all played on a Savannah.
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Maudlin... that was great!
  14. llamela
    llamela
    a little late..

15. Toycona
    Toycona
    Llamela, I like the urgency of your interpretation.
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Llamela, that was very interesting! Tell us about your instrument! The all downstrokes gave it an entirely different feel. Was that a cigarette hanging from your mouth?
  17. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Llamela - Very enjoyable. A lot of energy. I too felt a sense of urgency, like a chase seen in a movie. I hope to hear more of your playing in the weeks and months to come. Thanks for sharing.
  18. llamela
    llamela
    The question is this, does it strike the balance between being both 6/8 and 3/4?
  19. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Wow. That had such a different feeling....very Middle Eastern sounding. If I closed my eyes and listened I would think you were Hamsa El Din, the brilliant oud player from Egypt. Very cool!
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent "shuffle" there llamela... a perfect 7/5...

Maudlin, do you perhaps have the MP3's or WAV's of the 2nd and 3rd mandolin parts you recorded. I'd like to try to adapt them for mandola and mandocello?
  21. billkilpatrick
    llamela - very nice - you make it sound medieval (and moody) - bravo!
  22. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    llamela -- that sounds great, and very different. Probably appropriately so, given the origins of the tunes in French folk music. I have the feeling from your playing style that your background is different from that of most here in the group, and indeed I suspect that you may be French yourself (maybe it's the striped bohemien top and the cigarette dangling from the lip...). I think the sense of urgency everybody has been commenting on comes from picking so close to the bridge for a more agressive tone. Great job, and welcome to the group!

Martin
  23. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Eddie - I am afraid Audacity seems to combine all the tracks irretrievably into one, but you can find the music on David Jame's website which is tiompanalley.
    Llamela - plenty of attack in this version just like your other offerings - keep them coming!
  24. Eddie Sheehy
    bump for LAMO
  25. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I had recorded an unaccompanied version of this tune back in January 2011, but listening back to it I figured that I hadn't really understood the proper rhythm for this tune and as a result my version was pretty lifeless. I have since come to the conclusion that it is entirely misleading to notate this tune in 3/4 time. It should be either 3/8 or 6/8, with a few bars of 3/4 thrown into the B part.

So, I've now re-recorded the tune in jig picking pattern (DUD DUD) and with a tenor guitar rhythm track giving one beat per triplet except for those 3/4 bars in the B part. It's much bouncier this way and I think more effective (also faster and with better timing compared to my old take).

This recording is based on the three-part harmony arrangement by David James of Tiompan Alley Music (Link to PDF sheet music). This is the same arrangement as used by Maudlin Mandolin earlier in this thread. However, I have put the harmonies fairly low in the mix as I wanted them to enhance but not distract from the actual tune. All three voices (melody and two harmonies) played on Mid-Missouri M-0W overdubbed in Audacity, with tenor guitar rhythm track.

Martin
  26. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a really nice arrangement and recording, Martin. I agree, it sounds more 6/8 than 3/4 to me.

Thank you especially for bumping this old thread back up to the top. I wasn't familiar with this tune before. Now I'd like to learn it.
  27. Shanachie
    Shanachie

Hello everyone. I have been enjoying everyone's videos for a while now. I made it a New Years resolution to participate and not just watch so here goes. I've been playing the mandolin for a couple of years. I've been serious about it for the past year or so. I found the mandolin while learning irish fiddle music.

Here's my take on Crested Hens.
  28. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nicely played! Don't be a stranger -- your playing is so easy to listen to.
  29. Shanachie
    Shanachie
    Thanks Michael. I enjoy hearing your playing as well. I'm still at the point where I am playing the straight melody on tunes. I'm looking forward to when I'll be able to jazz it up a bit like you and OS.
  30. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job Shanachie - sounds good, nice mando and the best video quality I've ever seen too!
  31. llamela
    llamela
    Did anyone pick up the fact that 'Cocks' and not 'hens' are crested, making this possibly the first 'animal-inter-sex' tune ever?
  32. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I refute this with Google
  33. llamela
    llamela
    I stand corrected. The search continues.
  34. Eddie Sheehy
    On a Resonator...

35. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Since our honeymoon was in France and I still had my mandolin with me from our mini-gig at the wedding, I felt like playing the small number of French tunes that I know. This is one of them. Back at home now, I thought this would be an opportunity to try out my new webcam and software.
  36. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Sounds like a wonderful honeymoon, and congratulations on your wedding. That's a really pretty rendering of the tune.
  37. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    It's such a great tune I had to bring it back to the top of the pile.
    Played on a classical guitar I bought for £10 from a car boot sale, and a Jimmy Moon mandolin, hand made in Scotland, which cost rather more.

38. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Nice job James, sounds really nice!
  39. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Very good James, great playing and tone from your mandolin.
  40. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great picking on this one. I'm partial to a classical guitar for backing up pretty songs like this. Nice finger picking back up on the guitar, suits the song really well. The sustain on that Moon mandolin and the way you play it was perfect.
  41. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Did think of adding humble, content poultry sound effects to this one.
    Then I’d add the noble cry of the Chicken Hawk followed by the calamitous sound of chickens scattering, running for their dear lives.

But no, this is a one track recording.

And very nice to hear Dennis playing his beautiful mandolin.

https://youtu.be/CEJ9uRlPJks
  42. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Always a great tune to play or listen to. Your new recording surprised me with its tempo, but since you never mispick or lose your rhythm, it works very well at the higher speed.
    You're also doing the right thing by going hiking in the daylight. I'm just back from an evening walk with the mandolin. No video recording possible, and the nights are getting damp.
  43. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really like your light and sprightly rhythm with the tremolo Dennis and your mandolin, and your shirt.

On my version though it’s the adrenalin, it surprises me too.
    Each time I hike up with the backpack I get a bit shaky, and become Mr. lurching-lumpy-staccato-man. Then I need time to get into back into mandolin-playing mode -physically, mentally and meta-physically too.
    Sometimes I switch on the metronome in the forest for a couple of minutes and do nocontact-dance (like Tai-Chi) and breathing exercises. Oooooooommmmm!

One of the things I like about this tune is the sudden flows of the melodic phrases which can be very smooth when played in my studio but not so good in a damp, sad, lonely horrible place surrounded by big bits of voiceless vegetation. It was the 14th Sept yesterday so lots of smiling people lurking about. Which is nice.
  44. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The man sitting on a stump delivers another fine video, fast but relaxed. Nice playing, Simon!
  45. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Old Dan Tucker, Bruce version:
    https://youtu.be/Iuh96kiIU2M

Oh yeh!!!!!
  46. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    “… melodic phrases which can be very smooth when played in my studio but not so good in a damp, sad, lonely horrible place surrounded by big bits of voiceless vegetation.

You illustrated the situation very well, Simon. But we all love your recordings in nature! Great playing of Crested Hens as well.
  47. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice woodland scene and some great outdoor pickin'. Apparently I must know this song cause there is a video of me playing it in 2010 (unless it's a deep fake!)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12