Far Away

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Martin Jonas kindly pointed me here for this set, which I posted elsewhere first.

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice playing Bertram (most probably). I'm at the post office again so will only be able to hear you later. Something to look forward to.

About the placement of the tunes. As I see it, you have recorded a set of two tunes so generally you can post it as it's own thread, as a set.
    You can, as you have done, quite happily post your vid to the Far Away thread and also to the Maids of Mitchelstown thread too.

You would start by searching the Other Tunes list to see if your tune has already been posted.https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...856&do=discuss
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    How about a little a adventure in the Austrian Alps?

The wether forecast wasn't that bad. 2 hours sun promised.
    We decided for light baggage - only the bare nessecities.

https://youtu.be/qsZkystzB7U

Don't worry, the mandolin is still save and sound.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Excellent video and playing, Frithjof.
    Really gives a feel of your journey. I like the way you have two versions recorded in different places with a different room or outside warmth to the two audio tracks, and they match the visuals. It’s strange too, that as soon as the camera moves you are aware that there are two people. Great hiking, panning shots too.
    And the weather! Isn’t it nice to walk in the rain, sometimes?!

-Isn’t it wonderful to hike just below (or above) the cloud-line! Thanks.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Really enjoyable video, Frithjof. I liked your arrangement and playing. The walk up to the hut looks so good too.
    I take it you recorded the mandolin in the hut then dubbed the backing tracks later at home? However you did it, you have achieved a fine balance in the instruments.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, I had the feeling that the octave was played beforehand John. And I wonder how much the altitude affects sound quality.
    Whistles change quite a lot even with daily atmospheric air pressure fluctuations.
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    This is a vey entertaining video, Frithjof!
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, a really nice video! Better than any postcard from holiday, and "Far Away" is a topical title, too. I hope you have enough dry clothes.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    -or loads of food, I’ve found that you can get used to wearing wet clothing and even welcome a cold but drying strong wind… as long as you have loads of food and a nice heavy backpack.
    If not then you have to act like a cat when it rains.
    A normal cat.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Reminds me of the teambuilding exercise we had the day before yesterday on a soccer golf range, with unstable weather brewing. I had my waterproof pants with me (the ones you slip over shoes and pants in the blink of an eye) to test them, just in case - and the moment came, a full-size squall with buckets of water racing across the field. I was in the pants in less than a minute, and my trusty PU jacket with hood, and the only thing getting wet was my shoes, test passed. Meanwhile, all the others who had followed the recommendation of "light rain clothing" with their fancy Jack Wolfskin trash were running for shelter, me shouting after them "why stop playing now? Cowards!" (Thank you Orkney Mainland for giving me that lesson a couple of years earlier)

I like the meme photo at the end, but a tsunami in the background would have made more of a point OTOH the Alps losing their internal permafrost glue are always good for a rocky avalanche nowadays...
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks all.

You are right. I played the mandolin with cold fingers in the hut first.
    To match this recording, I played the octave at home without metronome, too. And I did my best to follow the tempo fluctuations of my mandolin playing with the Thuringian Waldzither.

Sorry, Bertram, I came too late to take a photo with a rocky avalanche in the background. The mudslides in Stubai village already occurred in July this year.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Rocky road to the Alps (in harmonic minor)?
    https://thesession.org/tunes/593
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12