Stoney Lonesome - The Sunday Drivers

1. bbcee
    bbcee
    Or in other words, another Don & Bruce collaboration!

Hard to believe this one was never attempted in the long history of Song of the Weeks.

I learned this from the fantastic "Baker Plays Monroe" album. Even if you're not a bluegrass fan, it's a real desert island disc. Wonderful compositions, and Mr. Baker's playing will just send you. There's some excellent versions out there, from the original 1959 recording to the aforementioned album, to Punch Brother Noam Pikelny, to the Slocan Ramblers and then some. We've hopefully scratched the surface of this great tune.

Don plays octave mando apart from his hoss of a Heiden and me on my new Gatti soon after I got it. We wanted the track to drive ( although our tempo is more "stately strut" than all-out banzai bluegrass), so hopefully that gets across. Hope you enjoy.

2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Excellent playing on this amazing collaboration. One of your best I think. ( did you mean for it be 'unlisted"?)
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a great performance from both of you, Don and Bruce. Great playing, recording and mixing. I had a sudden flashback to Michael Pastucha (Stuche51), one of our regular posters a while back, and some of the great tunes he did in similar vein, both solo and with his internet band The Saw Mountain String Band. Michael, if you read this know that I (and many others) miss your postings here.
  4. bbcee
    bbcee
    Yes indeed, John, I'd love to hear Michael jump in on this one. Thanks to you both for the kudos, this one was challenging.

Ginny, I usually keep my YT's unlisted to hopefully keep the spamsters and hucksters at bay. Although I am still giving all my data to Google ...
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Complete agreement with John, another classic. Great tune, playing, mixing, the lot! Well done.
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A great recording you did, Don and Bruce!
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Fantastic! Your recordings are always great fun, and this is surely one of the best. I enjoyed every second of that.

It's true that we're a little short on bluegrass players these days. Don and Bruce are flying that flag right now. Michael Pastucha has already been mentioned, Henrik Luurtsema is another great bluegrass player who often used to post here. There are others who have been around even less recently. Perhaps this gem of a tune can bring them back!
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, everyone. This was a fun one to do. I'm heading to Monroe Mandolin Camp next week, so this was a good warm up for me. Bruce sent some great tracks to me so it was easy to add my parts and put it all together. Glad you enjoyed it.

We're both using Line Audio CM4 microphones (a fairly low-cost small diaphram condenser mic made in Sweden) with a very flat frequency response. Easy to get a good sound with it but it does need a bit more gain than some mics. Very easy to mix the tracks.

I also miss Michael and Hendrik's contributions here. Old Sausage (David Mold) too with his cool animations.