The Granger Collection

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I have benefitted greatly from Mike Stangland's tef (tabledit) files from the Mandozine tabledit library in my mandolin journey. A few years ago I tracked him down and sent him a question about one of his tab files that I really like, "Tennessee Fiddler". I wanted to know where it came from.

He sent me a reply that he found it in an obscure, out of print (I'm not even sure if it was ever IN print), book of fiddle tunes written out in guitar tablature (no music notation, no mandolin tabs) by Adam Granger. He (Mike) had basically transcribed the tabs and then adapted the result to a beginner to intermediate level mandolin tune, and then written out the mandolin tablature. That book was the Granger Collection, I see that Mel Bay has now published it as standard musical notation instead of guitar tabs, thus preserving it as a resource and making it more universally accessible.

I think Mike derived several, maybe many, of his .tef files from the original Granger Collection. I know Mike was a very significant contributor to the Mandozine tabledit library (which is now housed and updated in the Mandolin Cafe tabledit library). I don't know if Mike collaborated in the Mel Bay publication, but he sure had an impact on how I chose to play most of the Newbies Tunes of the Month.

Anyway, Mel Bay has it, as seen here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/193493#193493 . I think I will buy a copy. I enjoy perusing collections like this - I often find tunes that I like and which I had never heard of before.
  2. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice story, Henry. I remember there was a thread a while back that allowed one to download the entire Mandozine .tef library as a zip file. I have it, and utilize it all the time. It’s nicely organized by genre.