Flatwater Fran

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Another Phil Cunningham tune, this was inspired by a relative who likes canoing.
    But not in raging torrents, only in flatwater.
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I listened to this several times while doing the washing up. In flat water. Very enjoyable, both the arrangement and the quality of your playing.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine version, Christian. A popular one among our regular session players around my area. You have really got yourself into Phil's music recently, and there is so much of it to enjoy!
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A beautiful tune well played and recorded, Christian.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Closed my eyes and I could actually hear the paddles in the water with people canoeing across the lake. (Not the first time this has happened!)
    Great playing Christian.
  7. bbcee
    bbcee
    What a sweet tune, Christian, and well-played - though I think you snuck a kayak in once or twice. Not to be pedantic or anything.
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks folks, I have to confess that after recording this tune and collecting pictures for the video, I stil don't know the difference between a kayak and a canoe.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No kayaks in Africa.
  10. John W.
    John W.
    Lovely, Christian…I wasn’t familiar with the tune, but I shall ‘get it in my head’ for when I’m out paddling (on flat water).
  11. John W.
    John W.
    Ps. In short…Canoe is usually an open deck boat, with the paddler in a seated or kneeling rowing position, paddling with a one-bladed paddle (one side of the boat at a time). Kayak is usually a closed deck boat, with paddler in a seated position with legs out stretched, paddling with a double-bladed paddle (mostly alternate sides of the boat).
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I was just about to start a new thread when I found this one from Christian -- very recent too, but I must have overlooked it. Very peaceful rendition!

Here is my version of this Phil Cunningham waltz, which I have played using a setting by Nigel Gatherer. Phil's original spelling of the title was "Flat Water Fran", but the alternative "Flatwater Fran" seems to be more common.

Nigel has various options on his site. I have used the setting with a cello bassline which I play on mandocello:

https://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/...atW/FlatWc.pdf

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/caGcqqwvQY8

Martin
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another fine offering, Martin.
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful recorded in your style, Martin.
  15. John W.
    John W.
    Another fine offering indeed, Martin. Sooooo many great tunes to consider…