Bach Cello Suite No. 1, BWV 1007, Prelude, in G, on Tenor Mandola

1. John W.
    John W.

I’ve been wanting to attempt a Bach piece on mandolin having admired many others doing so…and I have been particularly inspired by Toomas Rannu (take a look at his YT channel).

I’ve been trying for a couple of months to get a (significant) error free recording completed…I managed it yesterday…but wasn’t happy with the tone of the mandolin in the recording…so decided late last night to try it on the Tenor Mandola…and was happier with the sound.

I don’t (can’t) play it as fast as many, nor do I play it in a technically advanced manner.

Nonetheless, I’m pleased with what I have managed to achieve…this is my best effort at this stage in my mandolin playing development.

Tom Buchanan Tenor Mandola
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very impressive John. Nice clean playing and talk about tenacity! The octave has a lot of presence with the recording equipment you have in place.
    And this piece, I’ve been trying it for two years now! It must be the equivalent of learning a six or seven tune set.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A sterling effort, John. You play the tune well here and so much to carry in your head in this one. No problem about your development in your playing - seen and heard clearly here. You are right about Toomas being an inspiration in his playing, and I love that hybrid picking he uses. I have not seen any other mandolin players using pick and fingers together as he does.
  4. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks, Simon - I can fully appreciate pursuing this tune, and no doubt others like it, for 2 years or more… I finally had a concentrated spell where I had got to the point that I knew the tune, but just needed to stay focussed and relaxed to pull of a recording…which I have been able to do in recent days. Keep at it. Yes, equivalent to a set of tunes…but all over in under 3 minutes!

Thanks, John - I only play from memory…fair play to those can play with the sheet music in front of them. Yes, Toomas has a unique style…one that I am not going to attempt to replicate!
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A fine effort, John, your patience payed off!
  6. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Very nicely played. I think it sounds better on a lower voiced instrument although it's a bear to play with the longer reaches.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That really is impressive, especially because I know from experience how unforgiving those Buchanan instruments are. I tried several Buchanan instruments in the shop when I was looking for a mandolin. They seemed to magnify mistakes! But here, you turn that crystal clear sound into an advantage.
  8. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you Christian, Don and Dennis.
    Christian - I don’t know if I was patient…but I persevered!
    Don - I think there are some great versions out their played on instruments with a lower register.
    Dennis - I did get a recording on my Fylde Signature Touchstone…which I think is the mandolin you have (?)… However, the ringing from this mando just wasn’t right for this piece with so many notes close together.
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, John -- I am impressed that you play this from memory, and the tone is great! I have tried this piece on-and-off on both mandolin and mandocello. It sounds great on mandocello, but I do become unstuck towards the end when the fingering goes up the neck, so I have never recorded it. Maybe I'll try again and cheat by using my 10-string...

Playing it on mandola has the advantage over mandolin that you can keep it in Bach's original key, and also the lower register suits the tune better.

Martin
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Congratulation, John, for the successful recording of this well-known Bach piece.
  11. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you Martin and Frithjof.

Martin - I wish I could sight read as you do! Yes, playing the tune on the TM makes it easier to play in G; and the lower register does sound nice, but there are some nice mandolin versions out there. I look forward to hearing the piece played on a mandocello….

Frithjof - As there are plenty of well known/popular tunes out there of all genres my aspirations still include playing many of them.