More time for Mandolins

1. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life. My giant volunteer project is done and over with! I'm working on my social security application. Now I can take out instruments and work on music in the morning without guilt! I took out the SOL first thing, and it was out all day. Still is. Have played about 5 different times, and also worked on music theory. Had the Octofone out as well, it had been so long, it was hard to tune.

I am smiling
  2. BadExampleMan
    BadExampleMan
    We are smiling with you!

I'm still of working age for a few more years but my current job is hybrid. On the days I work from home I have my instrument next to my desk at all times, and whenever there's a free minutes or two I'll pick it up and noodle a bit.
  3. NDO
    NDO
    Congratulations Sue! I am jealous!
  4. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Thanks, Don. I am still going to do a little freelance work, because I want to help my DH get toward retirement as well. But it will be on my time and my terms. And my first two projects will be my personal projects - Strad-O-Lin shirts and more catnip mandolins

I've got some real good Berkshires catnip from my in-laws' place
  5. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    JoJo the wonder cat hauled her A style psychodelic mandolin out of the toy box just two days ago. She got about two tokes over the line and took off with the superzoomies. Good stuff in them catnip mandos, Sue.
  6. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Same type of thing here - I have been laid up for the past 4 weeks and my mando has been my constant companion. You would think that with all of that practice that I would show some improvement . . . but miracles are very rare.
  7. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Sue, congratulations on freeing up the time!

Mike, nice to see you back around these parts again!
  8. NDO
    NDO
    Sorry to hear you’ve been laid up, Mike- but glad you can play the mandolin!
  9. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Congratulations! (I say with a fair amount of jealousy, I've got a long way to go)

Not quite sure what Hank is doing over there....
  10. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Thanks, Louise & SM

Mike, miracles are more common than you may think. Bet you've improved more than you realize
  11. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Congratulations, Sue! Time to start drawing out all the money you have stored up in Social Security. I have been retired now for a few years and it is really a nice lifestyle! I find it amazing, though, how busy you can be when you have nothing to do. I just recently sold a primary piece of one of my "hobbies" and it has freed up a lot of time. I am trying to get back to regular mandolin playing.
  12. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    If my cat is any judge of my progress, I am in LOTS of trouble.

He used to leave the room just as I started playing . . . now he runs away as soon as I take the case out of the closet!

If the next thing he learns is how to turn off the computer while I'm looking at mandolins on the internet - I'm going to switch to the kazoo.
  13. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    What your cat needs is a catnip mandolin of his own, then he'll look at things from a different perspective
  14. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    So how is it going, Sue? I go for a few weeks practicing regularly, then "wake up" and realize I haven't picked up my mandolin for 4 or 5 days.
  15. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Thanks for asking. Not too shabby

I'm about ready to record "Flop Eared Mule" on my mandola and have been practicing double stops and pentatonic scales on the SOL. I'm also thinking about joining the NH Fiddle Ensemble this fall, which is run by the same folks who put on the jam camp I attended in September.

I bought a mandolinetto a week or so ago, but it turns out to need some work, so I'll be taking a road trip to Vermont with that and the SOL later this week. Not much foliage left, but it should still be a pretty ride.

On other mando related projects, my shirt design is out there, and I'm working on some new catnip mandolins.

It's real nice to be able to be a bit more laid back right now, and I'm thankful.