Richard Clark Guitar Show - Moline, IL

1. David M.
    David M.
    Folks in E. Iowa and W. Illinois: I just got this email below from Richard Clark, a mando/guitar/fiddle builder in Boone, Iowa. He builds some GOOD stuff and is a very nice guy.

Hi David, This Is Richard Clark the stringed instrument builder and I wanted to let you know that I will be having a show and sale of my new instruments at Wallace Music at 1503 15 th St. Moline on October the 3rd. I hope you can come and bring a friend. I have a web site at http://www.richardclarkinstruments.com so you can look at my different models of instruments.

Joe, if you or anyone else is heading up, holler at me and maybe I can go at the same time. I have to check my schedule first, but I'd like to make it. Someone in the Illinois social group might want to post it as well.

Yall check it out.
  2. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Thanks for the info, David. I'd seen Mike just last Saturday and he mentioned Richard was headed this way for a visit. It's always a treat to see what's new in his instruments.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I had no idea there was an instrument builder in Boone! I don't live that far from him... will have to contact him to see what he's got (I need another instrument like a hole in the head, haha!)
  4. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    If you go to his website off David's link, it may not load up as it's been truncated. You'll need to shorten the address http://www.richardclarkinstruments.com.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I dropped Richard an email, so we're already in touch. I've not heard of Clark instruments before. He didn't give me any price range... does anyone know what the price range of his instruments are?
  6. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    It's in the Collings price range maybe a bit lower. Probably depends all what you want done. Go to his website to see some of the woods he uses as they're quite unusual, highly figured, very pretty. He does make good sounding, looking, and playing instruments. A very meticulous craftsman. He had this cherry mandolin a few years back that had an unbelievable voice to it. I saw and played 3 others of his that that day and the cherry stood head and shoulders above 'em all. Back then he was sellin' them for about $1500. That's been maybe 4 or 5 years ago now, if I remember correctly.
  7. David M.
    David M.
    He had a guitar made of spalted maple that was very cool. I played his fiddle and it was nice. He said he's gonna make some more fiddles, so I look forward to seeing them.

I think he was asking about $1K for an A style mando that he had. He'd also make anything you wanted, like a cittern, 'zouk, mandola, etc., I'd suspect. Wallace has spec'd out some specific things and he's built them for him.
  8. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Yeah, that spalted maple is a very cool lookin' and great soundin guitar!

Believe Wally had Richard build him a small bodied 6 string and I know Richard built Wally a Uke. He builds some really fine 5 string banjos, too. I'd be tempted to buy one of his open backs.

He's a real nut on intonation, clarity, sustain, etc.

I told Richard he's got to quit buildin' such fine instruments as a player's mistakes stand out too much!
  9. David M.
    David M.
    Any idea what an open back 5 string would run? I've wanted one, but I'm broke
  10. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Seemed like the last time Richards were around $1500. Which I didn't have at the time. But Deering makes this Good Time Banjo for $400 or so. Personally a Bart Reiter basic, used to $700 or so is a really fine banjer! Do you know Lila Gehner from Just For Fun. She plays a Bart Reiter.
  11. David M.
    David M.
    Yeah, I know Lila. I like those Good Time Classics that have a more trad headstock like a Vega.