1. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely tone there, well done!
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Dusty!
  3. John W.
    John W.

There are several versions of this tune ‘out there’…see for eg of jigs on The Session @

https://thesession.org/tunes/448

I can’t claim this comes close to the Planxty version…. Curiously, the melody I have in my head seems to be v close to that published by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni, in her book ‘Evelyne’s Big Book for Mandolins 2017’….though I didn’t pick it up from there. I had considered adding the harmony shown in this book to the tune…however, I had the urge to pick out a jig…and this was the one…recorded straight onto my iPad and posted from there.

Phil Davidson mandolin.
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Excellent picking! Very jiggy.
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff John, bounces along!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice tune and great to see you comfortable with some of the different picking patterns John.
    I spotted the occasional D-U D-U hornpipe pattern and the more widespread DUD UDU, but especially the crafty D (dud) UDU. Haa! Yes, nice playing.
  7. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks very much Dennis, Jill & Simon…Simon, you are more aware of my pickin’ pattern than I am !
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    YouTube 25% speed button reveals all.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting observation you make about picking patterns, John. Like you, I am generally unaware of mine and I have never got round to the DUD DUD jig pattern. I think we must both just pick without being aware of what is going on! Enough trouble keeping an eye on the fretting hand.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    And there’s another observation
    Notice how, when John plays a triplet, the pick starts at the top side of the string, comes down and then back up? Well that’s how most people play it, though some invert it (UDU) when needed.

But far more important, he begins the triplet almost ON the string, pushes through -no swinging here, and stops immediately beyond the string. Then the pick is pushed back up and down again while hardly moving.

The determined firmness in the grip enhances this.
    Now that’s efficiency of movement! And it increases max. tempo a lot.

Oh yes, you see it all on SAW!

-just checked, both John’s do this!
  11. John W.
    John W.
    Simon - I can confirm that the DUD on the triplets is intentional…although I may not always achieve this! If I recall correctly, my intention to do this stems from reading something Jill said in a comment…somewhere back…whenever…about her mando mentor at the time (whose name escapes me)…whom (I think ?) advised her to use this pickin pattern for triplets…even though she didn’t always play that way herself! Jill may be able to enlighten us ??
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Good memory John! It was my first tenor banjo instructor, Angelina Carberry who taught me to always play triplets/trebles DUD, she herself plays them UDU and told me not to emulate that! Marla Fibish on the other hand, who I also took lessons from, plays triplets/trebles both DUD and UDU, but would probably start students out using DUD first and introduce UDU triplets later.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Many, many thanks Jill (John, Angelina and Marla). I’ve just tried D (UDU), DUD and it’s amazing! Really feels right.
    I did try it earlier on, a year or two ago when I wasn’t so comfortable with the hornpipe D-U rhythm nor tremolo and it didn’t work.

But now, great! Will have to find a triplet-heavy tune to hammer away at.
  14. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I am afraid to comment here in case I do not reference the DUD vs. the UDU. John, I thought you did a great job on this jig. The iPad doesn't pick up the sound quite as well but I can hear it enough to know this is a fine piece of music you are playing .
  15. John W.
    John W.
    Ginny - Don’t be afraid! All opinions are valid! Thanks for commenting. I agree about the (poor) quality of the recording of sound…it was a spur of the moment decision to record…but I didn’t want to go to the extent of setting up better quality recording equipment… The mic on the iPad picks up sound better if it is close to the source…on this occasion it was set a few metres away from me/the mandolin.
  16. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A lovely jig well played, John. Isn’t the urge to play and record a tune always more important than a studio quality of the recording?!
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh, I remember in the good old days, three years and four months ago, when I only had a mobile telephone to record my vids.
    Quality wasn’t so great but I agree, it’s such a relief to just switch the equipment on and post whatever seems to work.
    Even if it’s just some strumming and a smile -YES!

But I do also very much enjoy the grand Blockbusting, full-feature, big production movie sound tracks we occasionally have the good fortune to see and hear on SAW.
    Ginny!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12