Bransle (Medieval)

1. John W.
    John W.

A tune from book 1 Medieval Music for Mandolin by Allan Alexander.

Phil Davidson Mandolin
    Ivor Pickard Octave Mandola
    Faith Parlour Guitar

I may also put the link on the Medieval Group.
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A nice medieval dance, John. Well performed on your good sounding instruments.
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds very nice, John! And made me read the Wikipedia article about Marie. She was the ruler of the Burgundian states from 1477 until her death by a riding acciddent in 1482. I think, that's a fine tune for a hobby composer. And even finer played by you, John!
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I like your playing on this tune very much, John. For some reason your accompaniment reminded me of theme music for a medieval program on television.
    And as Frithjof mentioned, very good sounds coming from your instruments. Probably better sounds than from medieval music at the time.
  5. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you Frithjof, Christian and Simon.

Frithjof - I’m glad the sound of the instruments came across…it doesn’t always happen that what I hear in the room when I’m playing/recording translates to the recording.

Christian - I hadn’t researched Marie…and I agree, not bad at all for a hobbyist composer! Also glad you enjoyed my playing.

Simon - I’m curious to know the medieval TV programme…and I hope the sounds of our modern day instruments sound better than those played 500+ years ago!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It's difficult to describe, John.
    It's not one medieval program in particular. It's like the modern symbol of what mediaeval music is. I think if you played very authentic medieval music, then people wouldn't like it. It would be too rustic and rough.
    One way to experience this, I guess would be to not experience any social media for five or six years, and not read any books nor see any films, nor talk to many people. I think then if you went to a dance and heard some rough and above all, simple medieval music it would be amazing! It would be nearer to what our ancestors experienced. BBC programmes and higher music education remind of these symbols.
  7. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Beautiful John! Really nice recording with all notes ringing like bells. I have very much respect for those who can play and interpret written music and give it life. From my view, it's much harder than what I do, learning and playing by ear.
  8. John W.
    John W.
    I’m glad you enjoyed the sound, Frank…but unfortunately I can’t claim to have interpreted the tune solely from the notes…Mr Alexander provides a CD with this book, with a basic mando melody accompanied by guitar! My music reading and theory skills are very limited…I usually seek out some recorded versions of the tune I’m interested in playing, as I can’t rely on referring to sheet music alone! Different people have different skills to varying degrees…the main thing for me is how the piece sounds in the end, rather than the sources used to assist in creating it.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    John, I missed this one when you first posted it. Lovely arrangement you have used and you play it so well. All of the instrument tracks are mixed so well for balance.
  10. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you, John…much appreciated.
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This is a medieval tune I didn't know before! As everyone is saying, your playing and recording sound great. The mix is just perfect.
  12. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks, Dennis… If you like the medieval tunes the Allan Alexander books for mandolin (I think he does 2) are worth a look.