Flatworld

1. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    This is a great tune from Andy Cutting. He has so many.
    The dots are here on the session

Played on a Jimmy Moon mandolin and my £10 cheapo classical guitar.

2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    And on the Paul Hathway Octave

3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A really fine tune, James, and really well played on both of your offerings here. Thanks for link to dots, and I will enjoy learning this one as a change from my more usual pipe and fiddle tunes!
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nicely done, the classical guitar really suits this tune well. There is another mandolin version of this tune cleverly hidden here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...672&do=discuss

One of these days I will actually get around to recording this.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Like David said, the classical guitar part is a perfect fit.
    Plus, this is an excellent demonstration of the anatomical process of achieving good triplets with a wrist stiffened for a split second.
  6. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Thanks folks for the kind words.
    Thanks for the link David -I'd seen Tosh's version on youtube when I was learning this one and now you've introduced me to another great Andy Cutting tune with your fine playing.
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well it looks like one of those days is today. I haven't actually played anything for about a month and a half so I'm pretty rusty. The first measure of the A part is difficult for me both on the mandolin and the concertina, it's counterintuitive, although it looks pretty simple on paper. Here's another great Andy Cutting tune with homage to James Rankine's inspiring version.

8. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Beautiful David, the concertina is so suited to tunes like this.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled with the A part, though it doesn't show on David's version. For anyone learning this tune, my issues were the 3 note pick up, starting on the off beat followed by a run down the A string - it's very easy to lose sight of where the beat of the first measure begins. On my unaccompanied octave version I nearly miss the start of the pickup as I'm busy half strumming the measure at the end of the B part. Once you get into the first measure the notes on the A string are alternating with the open E but the phrase finishes on the B, on the off beat, so you have to break the open E pattern. So all in all, a bit harder than it at first sounds (that's my excuse anyway!).
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Haven't posted for a while, but I saw David's lovely version on YouTube, I knew I had done it a while back, not as great, but as good as I can do..........great versions James, thanks for posting........

10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another two very fine versions, gents. I was so taken by the tune when James posted it I got the music and here is my version on mandolin, octave and guitar. The guitar is a Lowden O32 and the mandolins my own builds. The conversation on the Session site re the key was interesting - I stuck with the first version from there, as in James's link, and played it in B minor, with guitar capoed at 2nd fret.

11. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    lovely performance John. Really glad you took this tune on.
  12. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Some really lovely renditions here. Thanks to James for posting the tune.

I had a go this morning.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely version, Bob, and the whistle adds its own magic to the tune.
  14. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great Bob. Beautiful mandolin tone and I love the way it builds up with the instruments. The button box really crowns it.
    And apologies to the "official" tune of the week - this rather seems to be taking over.
  15. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Thanks, John and James. No apologies necessary! It's a terrific tune, and it makes a nice contrast with the TOTW.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  16. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Here is my version of this tune.
    Played on the 504 Eastman Mandolin, Kurzweil electronic piano and Hohner Melodica.
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine arrangement and playing, Pierpaolo. I like your photos too!
  18. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    It has a beautiful classic feeling, a pleasure to hear it
  19. John W.
    John W.
    I like this tune, Pierpaolo…and you’ve arranged and played it very well.
  20. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Chamber music at its best!
  21. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I have always liked this tune - I think somewhere I have the music and you have spurred me into finding it now. Beautiful recording, Pierpaolo.
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sounds very good, Pierpaolo.
  23. bbcee
    bbcee
    Really nice to have you back, Pierpaolo! Great job on a lovely composition.
  24. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I just saw this for the first time on YT and it is really outstanding! Made me want to learn it... Such a beautiful rolling melody, sounds like fun.
  25. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Shout out to pierpaolo for the revival, and all those who performed this tune! Here's my take. Thanks for the listen!
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very moving feeling, French medieval Pierpaolo, lovely.
    And professional performance Frank, great sense of rhythm and timing, good job.
  27. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine playing, Frank, with so much feeling and good tone.
  28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very soulful delivery here, Frank. You create a beautifully tranquil mood with your playing of this great tune.
  29. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I've been working on this one Frank. I hope to get it somewhere close to as nice as yours. Nice ringing strings and so smoothly played - awesome sound on your mandolin - excellent solo.
  30. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks folks! I really enjoyed this piece, so much that it's become my warm up tune. So fun and relaxing at the same time. I look forward to your version Ginny!
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yay I’m looking forward to it too Ginny!
  32. William Young
    William Young
    Here is my attempt. Played on a Richard Beard "Celtic mandolin" and an old Gibson guitar I bought in the 1970s.

Buying a mandolin was my "pandemic project." I have been playing with the thing for about a year and a half (after spending about 6 months staring at it, thinking "it is so tiny.") Starting to get used to it......

And please forgive my many mistakes in this. If I waited until I got something perfect before recording it, I would be playing the same tune for the rest of my life.

33. William Young
    William Young
    I should add my thanks to all of you who keep this group going, as well as all of you who contribute. I have learned a lot from you people. I tend to say very little on the few "hobby" related forums I belong to, and I would think that might be true of many other people as well. But without this website, and without this group, I would have probably lost interest in the mandolin, sold the thing, and felt grateful that it was a much smaller and less expensive mistake than the boat I bought. Thank you all....
  34. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Hello 22_frets..I don't know your name but I sure like your rendition of Flatworld. Very smooth and flows nicely. Where is the accompaniment from? Is that you playing the Gibson guitar? Also the photos are bang on ! - although i really wanted to see one of those old maps that has no border but a sign that says "beyond this point there be dragons". I like how you are letting the strings ring in the first two bars.
  35. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    You have this as unlisted...did you mean for that to happen - it is so very good I think you should release it and let it fly !
  36. William Young
    William Young
    Thank you Ginny. Yes--I am playing the old Gibson guitar. I generally record the mandolin part first, then record a guitar track over that. Everything on my YouTube channel is unlisted. I am a bit shy.

And I just spent an hour at your site (and plan to go back for more). You are so incredibly talented. I'm sure I will learn a lot there as well.

Thanks again for your kind words....
  37. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Welcome to the group, and you have a very fine performance here. Lovely balance between mandolin and guitar in your recording and it is a really enjoyable listen on my headphones. Remarkable progress in your playing if you only took up the mando during the pandemic. I look forward to more from you in the coming year.
  38. William Young
    William Young
    Thanks, John. As I am most interested in Celtic/Scottish/Irish music I had already spent some time at your YouTube site--not only to hear and watch you play, but to get an idea of what sort of tunes are popular in Scotland. Thanks for the inspiration....
  39. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Welcome 22_frets. Hope you stay with us the next year.
  40. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Very nice 22_frets and Welcome to SAW!
  41. William Young
    William Young
    Thanks Frithjof and Frank....
  42. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    We need your name Frets..don't be shy. A while back we all had avatar names - and then someone said - hey what's your name..and we all became friends and lived happily ever after.
  43. William Young
    William Young
    OK, Ginny. Done....
  44. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Welcome to SAW.
    Very nice.
  45. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Somehow I missed the two last postings of that tune:
    Great solo performance, Frank!
    Nice playing, sound and video, William!
  46. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Those are three really nice versions of this tune. Andy Cutting would be proud of you.