Como llora una estrella

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is the tune to a Venezuelan song in waltz time by Antonio Carrillo. Played as a mandolin instrumental based on Nigel Gatherer's transcription:

https://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/...omoL/ComoL.pdf

I previously learned this from one of the old TablEdit files here at the Cafe, which was pretty similar to Nigel's version.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/JZqvaHhR-hs

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful tremolo, Martin.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof. It's one of those tunes that just transports you into a different culture when playing, so ideomatic.

Martin
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I didn't know this tune or its composer, so I had a look at some YT videos of it. It is played a lot by classical guitar players like John Williams and than sounds quite complex. But nothing beats a nice melody played with a solid tremolo on mandolin.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It is a tune that makes you travel mentally. You took me to Venezuela in my mind!
  6. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Well, here accompanying Martin with my humble contribution...it doesn't reach the heights of our friend's version, but it is an attempt...

Before John K comments on the backing track, I thank my friend who plays guitar and worked hard to make the arrangement sound like a Cuatro...
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice playing and sound, Jairo. I do like that tune, so charismatic!

Martin
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Love this tune Martin and Jairo! I was in the middle of commenting when my WiFi went out for 1 1/2 hours. I was never able to figure out the chords for this. So I've been playing it waiting for a connection. Maybe I'll solo it. Nice playing guys!
  9. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    That is beautiful, Jairo. Immaculate playing from you (and your friend).
  10. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Richard, my friend does not record the guitar, he reviews and adjusts the arrangements that I send him...And he provides me with the ones he has, if necessary...
  11. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Oh, I see, Jairo. This is all beyond my technical paygrade!
  12. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    And the arrangements are not mine, obviously, they are the ones I find on the green paths...
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Jairo, since you name-checked me above, I will comment on your latest posting - I was gong to anyway! Another fine piece of playing and it is good to learn that you have competent friends who do or do not play on your recordings, but always remember that whatever backing track is used, it is still you who plays the strong melody lines and finds those great tunes for us to enjoy.
  14. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Wonderful playing, Jairo! The guitar part really adds the right flavor to match your mandolin playing.
  15. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Don, I'm flattered that you liked it, being a musician that I respect a lot...