The High Road To Linton/The Wind That Shakes The Barley

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    These are two standard session reels, played as a set using Nigel Gatherers' transcription:

https://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tunes/H/HLint.html

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/T3eYNKTs-Fg

Martin
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    two of my favourite tunes, nicely done and synced up well to the back track, Martin. I like how you ended The Wind that Shakes the Barley - it really has no ending, I've never been sure when or how to finish it !
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Actually played High Road to Linton last night at our weekly pub session, Martin, and paired it with Mrs MacLeod of Raasay. We had two very good fiddlers visiting last night who are not weekly regulars but always very welcome when they come along - a two-hour drive each way to join us. Nice set you have delivered here!
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Ginny and John. Nice to play the "standard" session tunes -- there's something hypnotic about those fingering patterns.

Ginny: Yes, "Barley" is one of those neverending tunes. I just went with a resolving pattern that felt right, without planning ahead, but it works quite nicely.

Martin
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Martin for the memory - a younger me used to do Linton (aka Jenny's Gone To Linton) 12 years ago, with a more steampunk recording technique.

I had a way of remembering the tune by singing:

High road to Linton
    Jenny's gone to Linton
    high road to Linton,
    Jenny's gone forever.

I'll have to re-practise Barley, too.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Certainly a strong, driving steam-punk feel to your version (with variations) that you delivered back then, Bertram. You have calmed down a bit over the years, my man!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I'd better calm down, John. After all, today is three days into pension for me
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Bertram -- as John says, that's pretty steam-punk. Great driving rhythm, hammer-ons and variations.

Martin
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great playing Martin and Bertram. This is a nice set.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Martin – great playing on your Mid-Missouri mandolin.
    Bertram – maybe your recording technique used to be simpler then today. But your driving playing on the OM was and is a pleasure anyway.
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I'm not even sure I know what steam punk means but I hear it used a lot. This is good, fun playing Bertram - a tune you can really 'go at it !'.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all for the nice comments on the distant past. Actually, this was posted as SAW discussion at a time, when some of you were not around (I am sounding like Gandalf here, I am afraid ).

Ginny, steampunk is originally denoting a style of technology, literature, movies and fashion, where everything is adapted to steam engines and their rough and rugged cosiness. Computer keyboards made out of old typewriter parts is one example, clothing with lots of leather, top hats and brass goggles is another, the first steampunk fiction is probably by Jules Verne, famous steampunk movies are The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Golden Compass, Dune etc. Today, the word is often attached to technology considered out of date, in a rather derogatory manner.
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Hup! That was a good set from Martin, fit for a session.

Happy retirement, Bertram! I hope you have lots of time for music now.