Week #89 ~ Heart of the Heartland

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Lovely playing on a beautiful sounding mandolin...
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Heart of the Heartland - Peter Ostroushko.
    A beautiful, sweet tune, a pleasure to play. Mandolin by me, guitar by Emory Lester (who was a friend of Peter's) Filmed in my backyard. The butterfly at the end was pure perfect timing - no photoshop !
    The one note of tremolo at the is my humble attempt to pay tribute to Ostroushko who played this song almost entirely in tremolo.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Ginny, this is a really beautiful video you have created here. The music is excellent with just the right blend of your mandolin and Emory's backing. Such a peaceful vibe comes from the tune, the playing and the setting. I reckon this has maybe just taken over as your best video so far!
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Certainly beautiful. Best yet, Ginny, thanks for sharing this.
  5. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Truly Beautiful performance Ginny! Man, I have to echo recent comments and say we have some verry talented folks here.
  6. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Really nice recording, congratulations.
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Beautiful tune, nice backyard, great playing and a fine tremolo at the end, Ginny.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you !! for all the lovely comments. I love this song and had practiced it so much, so it wasn't torture to video it in real person - something I'm still not comfortable doing. It was serendipitous that the monarch was ready for flight just as I was filming. I won't tell you how many times I tipped over on that chair as it dug into the soft mulch. But it was funny. Christian, I must say I was thinking of you on that last tremolo. I had a big smile for getting a good tremolo, but it got cut to include the butterfly.
  9. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Beautiful, Ginny!
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done! This was a pleasure to listen to...
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well I have to admit I’ve never seen a thread on MandolinCafe:
    ‘How to get butterflies to land on your fretboard’.

-lemon oil?
  12. bbcee
    bbcee
    Lovely, Ginny, a pleasure to listen to!
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That's a huge backyard!!! Great playing and butterfly herding.
  14. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Ginny for unearthing a ten years old thread. I heard your version, loaded down the sheet music/guitar tab and laid down a backing track. I used my favourite waltz accompaniment, a slightly swinging mid-tempo 3/4. Had I listened to the other recordings, I would have noticed that this tune has a real slow tempo. But instead of rerecording the back-up, I tried to create a mid.tempo, swinging Heart of the Heartland:
  15. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Beautiful playing, both of you. Ginny, that's quite a yard!
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Two lovely versions there, really enjoyed listening to those!
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Christian's version gives me the impression of a third instrument present, though inaudible. Both instruments are soloing, spatially separated, very much in the foreground, but the background is full of music-to-be, so to speak. Wonder if it is the reverb doing that, will have to consider and try out...
  18. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I'm a sucker for pretty songs. Very nice Christian, loved the feel!
  19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done!
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You have interpreted the tune really well here, Christian.
  21. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Amazing interpretations of a beautiful song! Thanks, Ginny and Christian!
  22. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A belated THANKS to all and another version. this time in G-major with straight eighths:
  23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I’m starting to get deja-vu Christian! Nice playing, again.
  24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Also nice in G-major. Hard to say which version I would prefer.
  25. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Following up from Christian's revival of this great air by the late Peter Ostroushko (1953-2021), here is my version on the Gibson in Nigel Gatherer's setting in G major (a fifth down from the original key of D):

https://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/...eart/Heart.pdf

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/1zAuzcZJLhw

Martin
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for your version, Martin. Next to your fine mandolin playing the simple chord arpeggio on tenor guitar works good in this arrangement.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12