Week #86 ~ Fig for a Kiss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Fig for A Kiss, also known as Figs For A Kiss, Gáire Na MBán, The Old Dutch Churn, The Splashing Of The Churn, Two In A Gig.

Here's the ABC from www.thesession.org. Be sure to check out the comments section, for several other ABC versions.

X: 1
    T: A Fig For A Kiss
    M: 9/8
    L: 1/8
    R: slip jig
    K: Edor
    |: G2B E2B BAG | F2A D2A AGF | G2B E2B BAG |
    [1 B/c/dB AGF DEF :|2 B/c/dB AGF E3 ||
    |: g2e g2e edB | f2d dcd fed |1 g2e g2e edB |
    dBG GBd e2f :|2 gfe fed ecA | B/c/dB AGF E2F ||

Here is a link to notation and midi on www.8notes.com
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    .tef file for Std Notation and TABs
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...0&d=1292589616
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    A quickie to get it started... this was recorded last January as part of a 3-tune set. I'll get an up-to-date version in later...
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    A quickie to get it started...

5. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Eddie Short but SWEET. [Like a fig]
    Gary
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I've known this tune for quite a while so I took some liberties and tried to make it a little different and non slip jigish, I'm pretty sure that's not a word. Slip jiggy?

7. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Beautiful, David.
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Way to get jiggy with it, David.
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    David's version has a very medieval feel to it!
  10. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    That is very enjoyable David, a great arrangement.

I did see however that aliens were firing photon torpedoes at your instruments and seemed to score a direct hit around 1:07!
  11. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nice jobs fellas!
  12. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    David, love your playing and arrangement on this one. Eddie, I've not seen this part of your house before. Fine playing wherever you record.
  13. Bob Scrutchfield
    Bob Scrutchfield
    David, Wonderful playing and your arragement is great.
    Eddie, Really nice playing and thanks so much for getting it started. I listened to it on my TablEdit and didn't make much progress until I heard you play it.

Bob Scrutchfield
  14. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Well, I'm surprised this only generated generated two posts. I think I voted for it, so I thought I should post. It's still a work in progress and I was only able to get through it once without royally screwing it up. So, for better or worse, here it is.

15. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths

I had a much harder time than I expected with this tune. It's a lot of fun and I'll keep working with it, but this is the best I could manage for now. The really short A and B parts don't leave much room to prepare before the repeats. Also, I was using a really thick pick and kept getting tangled in the strings. I had never heard of a slip jig before. Thanks for the eye opener.
  16. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I love slip jigs! Here's "Fig For A Kiss" with "Fox Hunters'".

17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff there Mike!
  18. JeanM
    JeanM
    While I visit this social group every day, this is only the second video that I've posted here (and it's been over a year since I posted the last one). I really enjoy this group and have learned so much from watching others. I do want to contribute to the degree that I'm able. This one is short, but I'm hoping this will get me in the mode of doing this a little more often.
  19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Jean!

I was actually watching John Huston's last film "The Dead" last night on DVD and towards the end of it there's a wee snippet of this tune playing!
  20. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    That's a great first slip jig, ten or! Very nice, Jean; I'm noticing how nice your fretting hand technique is.
  21. Eddie Sheehy
    An Irish Slip Jig played on a Scotch-drenched Fylde Touchstone Single Malt mandolin...

22. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    I love this tune ~ and it's awesome the way you play it ~ full of spirit, clean and just fun.
  23. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Eddie, and that Fylde sounds lovely as well!
  24. Eddie Sheehy
    Thank you ladies.
  25. John W.
    John W.

I aim to work my way through some tunes from the past…

This one gave me the opportunity to use a banjo I picked up around 10 months ago but have barely played…but I shall give a plug for Will Howson for doing a great job on the set-up https://www.wgfhowsoninstruments.co.uk/

Ivor Pickard Octave Mandola
    Gold Tone IT-250 Tenor Banjo
    Faith Naked Mercury (parlour) Guitar
  26. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great bit of playing there, John W. I like the tone you are getting from that octave and the banjo does not intrude into your arrangement but is still present in the mix.
    That mandolin on the couch behind you has a lovely rosewood back!
  27. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you, John… I love the tone of this OM… The mando is there as I was undecided which instrument to play ‘up front’…and although it is a beautifully made instrument, it just didn’t cut through in the way the OM did.
  28. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one John! Lovely bounce to it!
  29. bbcee
    bbcee
    Good stuff, John, really moves along nicely. And don’t quote me, but the banjo adds a nice element to the backing.
  30. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you Jill and bbcee (and don’t worry bbcee…your secret support for the banjo is safe with me).
  31. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Really nice playing, John, me too, I like the banjo.
  32. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great playing, John. I like the sound of your OM.
  33. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks Christian and Frithjof… it’s great that there are a range of instruments, and specific instruments of a particular type, that take our fancy at different times…
  34. William Young
    William Young
    Glad you revived this thread, John. And your version on the octave mandolin is great. I wish I could make mine sound like that.
  35. William Young
    William Young
    Here's my go at this tune:

36. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice, William, nice clear, crisp notes and good on the high ones too. Great pics.
  37. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great playing, William. Glad too to call you by your name now.
  38. William Young
    William Young
    Thanks Ginny and John for your kind words....
  39. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one William and very lovely tone you're pulling from your mandolin as well!
  40. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Very nice William! So nice to hear you play...
  41. William Young
    William Young
    Thanks Jill and Frank.
  42. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine mandolin playing, William, and nice visuals.
  43. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'm not sure how I missed John's recording, but now I get the twin pack with William's version! Both are really nice. Well arranged and well played, a joy to listen to.
  44. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    It's only the very slightest of tweaks but I prefer A Fig For A Kiss in "proper" E Minor rather than E Dorian. So here's my E Minor take on the tune...

45. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Great stuff, Aidan.
  46. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Thanks, Richard...
  47. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another fine jig and once again at a pace I like, Aidan. Picked as cleanly and clearly as always.
  48. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Thanks, John...
  49. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Coincidentally, I just saw this on my fakebook timeline this morning...

A Fine For A Kiss...

50. John W.
    John W.
    Just dipping in/adding brief comments to a few threads I have some familiarity with (see my latest comment in response to Simon’s most recent comment in the “lack of interest” thread). I enjoyed both William and Aidan’s versions of this tune. Aidan, I suspect Miss Clark didn’t go back to Black Rock !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast