Week #417 ~ A Bruxa (waltz from Galicia)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is A Bruxa, which was submitted as a Waltz from Galicia. I see that it, along with Cinderella Waltz, had a run, here, as an 'other tune' back in 2011.

Here is a link to 3 settings on thesession.org

2. crisscross
    crisscross
    And here's the first contribution for week#417:
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well worth the wait, I'd say! I like how your style sounds well rehearsed but not laboured. You are obviously very comfortable with what you're playing.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks a lot, Criss -- I like that tune a lot and your playing suits it very well!

I do have a very old solo mandolin recording of mine, which is the very first one in Barbara's posting at the top of this thread. I have been meaning to do a multitrack recording using the harmonies from Evelyn's arrangement. We play her setting of A Bruxa with our group occasionally, but I've never got around to putting it together for my Youtube channel.

Martin
  5. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Gelsenbury, thanks Martin! I must confess, I was a little surprised, I did not find one of your nice multi-track recordings of this tune on Youtube. But there will surely be one in the future I hope...
  6. crisscross
    crisscross
    I just played the chords I found on a score I found with Google, with some minor harmonic changes.
    And I recorded it with my bowlback, probably doesn't sound so different from my A oval hole.
    Same player, same pick, same strings, only the mandos are of a little different shape...
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    As promised, here is my multipart recording of "A Bruxa", using an arrangement by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni from 2012.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  8. crisscross
    crisscross
    Fine recording, Martin, I especially like the low melody at 2.13!
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks a lot, Criss! For the low melody section, the mandocello switches to melody and the mandolin plays the syncopated double-stop rhythm. I really like Evelyn's harmonies on this one, very rich.

Martin
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This version sounds great too!
  11. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Here my attempt. Mandolin, melodica, guitar and piano.

12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice one! Love the different instruments combined.
    And nice playing Martin too. Great tune.
  13. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Mesmerizing, as I suppose it must be...beautiful!
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine arrangement and great playing, Pierpaolo. Your choice of instruments really suits the tune.
  15. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Thank you all.
  16. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine playing, Pierpaolo.
    I obviously missed this official tune. It goes on my to-do pile now. Have to listen to the other versions, too.
  17. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice playing, Pierpaolo, the harmomica adds a new tone colour.
  18. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Pierpaolo! What an inspired choice to let the melodica take the lead. It sounds absolutely perfect.